Brakes are giving me a serious headache.

Littlewood

Here comes the BOOM!
OK so a few weeks ago my FRONT brakes began binding - the pads were low so I changed them, I also greased the pistons on the calipers and cleaned any brake dust that may of been hindering the pistons from back properly.

They were great for a week or so, now my back brakes have started binding really bad - They were doing it like this probably about a month ago and I sanded the shoes down a bit and bled all the brakes and it went away on it's own after a week.

Any ideas how I can make the problems stop for good? I'm at a loss!

Sanding down rears won't stop them binding, effective if the brakes are glazed and squeaking though.

Firstly check the the cables are free and moving and the cylinders aren't seized.

No tutorial available on the removal of rear shoes and can't remember how to remove them (normally do them blind folded). If you can do it yourself remove and clean up back plate, grease points that contact the shoes and ensure components move easily.
Re build and you shouldn't have any further issues.

Shoe removal definately does require some eye protection and some bloody hard thumbs!

I did all the above when I freed them up last time and they were good - but now are binding again. I'll do it again and hope for the best :).

Would anyone happen to know how to turn the clicky wheel thing (for adjusting the shoes outwards) the other way (to take them back in)?

It will click round quite happily the way I don't want it to go but will not move back!

dont use grease on calipers as it knackers the seals copper slip is the thing to use

With the rears how many clicks is the hand brake on and whens the last time the shoes where checked/changed ?

The clicky thing is the self adjuster and these tend to jam up with dust its worth taking it apart and cleaning it up

you set the adjuster up so you can just about slip the drum on once its all back together and you push the brake it self adjusts

Would anyone happen to know how to turn the clicky wheel thing (for adjusting the shoes outwards) the other way (to take them back in)?

It will click round quite happily the way I don't want it to go but will not move back!
The star wheel adjuster is locked in place by a springy locking arm, so it cannot go backwards.

As you rotate star wheel one way (shoes out, towards drums), the springy arm locks star wheel at each step.

To turn other way (shoes in, away from drums), you need to manually push springy arm away from star wheel, then rotate star wheel.

There is even a hole in back of drum housing so you can release springy lock arm without removing drum, if you are are adjusting shoes inwards (away from drums), although it's fiddly.

The star wheel adjuster is held in place by a springy locking arm.

As you rotate star wheel one way (shoes out, towards drums), the springy arm locks star wheel at each step.

To turn other way (shoes in, away from drums), you need to manually push springy arm away from star wheel, then rotate star wheel.

There is even a hole in back of drum housing so you can release springy lock arm without removing drum, if you are are adjusting shoes inwards (away from drums), although it's fiddly.

Chars :D

and they are "teeth shaped" so that you can only tighten then without releasing the pawl (but you have to hold the pawl back to lacken the shoes off)

Back