Brake Upgrades

Hi Guy's,
right in my kitchen awaiting a rebuild I've got a set of pulsar calipers w disks and pads,
but my question of that day is....
When I fit these calipers etc, will I still be able to fit ABS (and have it work?) for Ideally I would like to have both, but if i have to choose, I will :D

Hi Guy's,
right in my kitchen awaiting a rebuild I've got a set of pulsar calipers w disks and pads,
but my question of that day is....
When I fit these calipers etc, will I still be able to fit ABS (and have it work?) for Ideally I would like to have both, but if i have to choose, I will :D

PollyP is your man to speak to he runs that very setup :) it might be as simple as plug and play mate as i think the ABS reading comes from the splines on the driveshaft so the brakes wont affect it..

P.s my set are in the kitchen too keeping warm to dry the paint ;)

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
ABS does not effect the fitment of GTIR calipers and discs.

All you need is to shim the calipers outward in order to centralize them with the caliper by 2mm. You 'may' have to reduce the OD of the disc by 3mm in order to clear the caliper though.

I didn't get around to measuring my discs over the JAE weekend but I did manage to have a chat to Nis and both myself and him have not had to do this. He has standard Nissan discs fitted and I have Black Diamond discs fitted and they were a simple bolt-on. Perhaps there is a discrepancy somewhere on the disc diameters?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Nis and I have about 2mm clearance, (by eye), between the disc extremity and the caliper body Paul. From looking at yours at JAE it looked like you had more like 4mm or so when viewed from the top. I have got my discs hot enough, (blued them off at brands), and have never experienced any scraping.

I will definitely take measurements next time I am over in the UK, as this is such a strange thing to me.

Could it be more the condition of the caliper prehaps? whilst cleaning mine up there was a fair bit of rust/build up etc to be ground off and removed!

pollyp

Club Member
Nis and I have about 2mm clearance, (by eye), between the disc extremity and the caliper body Paul. From looking at yours at JAE it looked like you had more like 4mm or so when viewed from the top. I have got my discs hot enough, (blued them off at brands), and have never experienced any scraping.

I will definitely take measurements next time I am over in the UK, as this is such a strange thing to me.

wether its 2-3-4mm, as long as the disc is machined down slightly to miss the caliper. mine was machined (slightly too much) so its almost level with the pads

pollyp

Club Member
Could it be more the condition of the caliper prehaps? whilst cleaning mine up there was a fair bit of rust/build up etc to be ground off and removed!

i did try grind the disc and caliper but was still too close to comfort rubbing metal on metal under street use let alone track use

Not to dig up an old thread but looking about for decent disc pad combo's i have noticed front discs being listed anywere from 256mm / 257mm & 258mm!

Maybe this all boils down to whomever is supplying the disc :confused: as "OE" spec