Brake Upgrade Options

frank

Club Member
bear in mind ours are diagonally split systems too chris, so you would need a 2 channel bias valve or else the abs master cylinder.
just did some more testing with all 4 wheels off the ground, and there is still about 3 x the braking force on the front ! ie when i load the pedal enough to lock the fronts solid, the rears are still turnable (just)
i think part of the problem is that our cars get new discs and pads every few years (which brings them up to full factory spec) but the rears tend to only get shoes and cylinders, so you would need new drums and self adjust mech to bring the rears back up to spec
here,s the valve delete pipes fitted :)

PA220233.JPG

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Apparently frank you can use the non abs one frank somehow. Matt was explaining to me that you can use particular ports. Possibly blocking non used ones?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I know I may bang on about it, but corner weighting can help decide your ratio.

I know my car is exactly 62%F 38%R
So for a 50/50 brake balance ratio I need a 62/38 as a braking ratio :)
It gets a little more complicated than that of course but its good starting point :)

FYI, ad22vf front and stock rear calipers gives 70/30 static bias.

frank

Club Member
here,s the stock bias valve, the springs hold the pressure back till (for example) 200psi, then let the fluid flow to the rears from 200 onwards, and the plungers increase the pressure on the springs if the car is unloaded (300psi or whatever).
so you could fit lighter springs to reduce the bias i guess.
i think that "crackpoint" of 200psi is to stop the rears locking up on ice etc, but its a pretty crude system that either on or off eh

PA220235.JPG

typical adjustable bais valve

PropValveChart.jpg

frank

Club Member
I know this is a common topic, I have searched but have come up with countless dribble and nonsense. Besides the ad22v upgrade, has anybody managed to use brake calipers from another make? Perhaps Toyota or mitsubishi as i understand corollas and maybe? fto's have the required 130mm caliper bolt spacing. Perhaps toyota Caldinas etc etc anyways, i believe there are a fair few makes with this spacing, the problem most likely being the offset of the rotors.

So has anybody got solid experience or ideas before i start researching. People want ridiculous amounts of money here for 20 year old ad22's and i cant justify that so im looking for alternatives.

Cheers,
George
any luck on the 130mm ctc calipers yet george ? i had a look around our local yards this afternoon and found very little tbh, most of the toyota ones were,nt 130mm, and even then the bolthole was very offset in relation to the disc face (ours are alongside the disc eh)

PA220237.JPG

there was a late colt that looked promising (mivec ?) and an avensis 2.4D

no nothing. Been working flat chat and alot of our self serve wrecking yards here in aus are full of mid to late 90's cars so not much promise

Twin pots off an mitsi fto or space wagon fit N15's as a good 280mm upgrade. Seeing as N15 brakes fit k11 I presume the same setup will bolt on to the K11 also.

I know this is for cheaper upgrades but figured it was worth a mention

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Already mentioned a similar setup, mitsubishi twin pots from fto or space wagon, few other models also. Renault clio 280mm disks. 3-4mm spacer behind disc to centre it in the caliper or else machine hubs and caliper carriers to suit. Hubs need to be drilled from 10 mm to 12mm to suit the new caliper carrier bolts also
epasaguh.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

frank

Club Member
any luck on the 130mm ctc calipers yet george ? i had a look around our local yards this afternoon and found very little tbh, most of the toyota ones were,nt 130mm, and even then the bolthole was very offset in relation to the disc face (ours are alongside the disc eh)

View attachment 36326

there was a late colt that looked promising (mivec ?) and an avensis 2.4D
found some nice looking lightweight alloy calipers on a prius yesterday :cool: same flat face bolt fitting as ours, and 130mm spacing

View attachment 36326

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Also ABS pulsar 93 MasterCylinder and Brake Servo has arrived. I will report. On more immediate subjects, I did the brake bias delete @frank, the bias is alot happier.

SirChris

Educated Bodger
Also ABS pulsar 93 MasterCylinder and Brake Servo has arrived. I will report. On more immediate subjects, I did the brake bias delete @frank, the bias is alot happier.
Will be re laying all brake systems @frank **edit I guessed that getting the steel lines to flare would be a nightmare? any experience?

Last edited:

SirChris

Educated Bodger
yes same bolts chris, 130mm apart (centre to centre), so you would need discs with the same face-to-face offset but about 30mm bigger dia than stock
hmm seems like a good upgrade. They lightweight? I couldnt think of what disks you could get, or how the hell you could search.

frank

Club Member
hmm seems like a good upgrade. They lightweight? I couldnt think of what disks you could get, or how the hell you could search.
the caliper is alloy chris (tho that bracket is cast iron the same as stock) so they,re a lot lighter than sr20/gti ones
and sr20/gti discs i guess ? i forgot to measure the piston tho

SirChris

Educated Bodger
the caliper is alloy chris (tho that bracket is cast iron the same as stock) so they,re a lot lighter than sr20/gti ones
and sr20/gti discs i guess ? i forgot to measure the piston tho
+1 skymera ... let down :D

hmm, i do wonder, what year frank? may have to go have a look. see edited top post regarding relaying pipes n stuff soz.

frank

Club Member
+1 skymera ... let down :D

hmm, i do wonder, what year frank? may have to go have a look. see edited top post regarding relaying pipes n stuff soz.
there were no plates on the car chris i,m afraid, and steel pipe will flare ok :) (why not copper ?)

SirChris

Educated Bodger
there were no plates on the car chris i,m afraid, and steel pipe will flare ok :) (why not copper ?)
using existing pipe work frank n extending it to save length. I though the steel lines would be a ****ter to flare so intended on just doing away and starting a fresh with copper to every corner through the inside of the car.