Brake shoes material

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Micra K12 1.4 and I was wondering if the original drum brakes contain asbestos.... They are all rusted and I would like to change the shoes and drums.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
There has been no asbestos in brake shoes/pads for the last 20+ years, banned for that use in 1999..........

Hi everyone,

I have a 2004 Micra K12 1.4 and I was wondering if the original drum brakes contain asbestos.... They are all rusted and I would like to change the shoes and drums.

Does anyone know?

Thanks!

For your long term health protection treat all brake & clutch friction materials dusts as being dangerous to heath whether asbestos or any other unknown material.

Cheap fake branded brake pads/linings made of unknown materials & car parts flood into the UK aftermarket from all over the World from sources without the effective rule of law, effective regulation, or inspection testing?

Banning asbestos is easy talk but enforcing it is almost impossible. Take full H&S PPE precautions when dealing with brake friction dust.

Quote; “Fine particles (PM2.5) pose the greatest health risk” :eek:

Reference; https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=pm+2.5+particles+health+risks

OP
OP
elsfed
Thanks. Will definitely wear a mask with a P3 filter while doing brake work and make sure to wet everything with brake cleaner.
I do remember blowing the rear wheel holes (where the wheel nut goes in) with compressed air once because the nuts didn't go nicely in. Not very smart if I think about it now!

I know Nissan was very transparent with asbestos. In the K10 there was a sticker under the bonnet warning about the presence of asbestos. So it is indeed very unlikely that the K12 original brakes shoes contain asbestos.