Brake servo/master cylinder overhaul upgrade

The '94 slx passed the mot :) but,,, the front brakes had a 58% imbalance,, the guy did the test 10 times until it passed, in the end he went and got a remote control unit and did something with it to register a pass on the computer system. I replaced the brake lines 3 years ago and the 4 flexy hoses last year, the brakes were outstanding for a while but when I replaced the shoes and pads last week I knew I had a problem. The sharpness was gone during the bleeding process,, I reckon the rubbers must be dozed in the servo piston, in 1999 I was able to get a kit to replace the internals on the servo for my '82 cortina, does anyone know where or if you can get them for our cars? Or would it be better to replace the servo with one from a 2000+ car if they fit cheers ,

Last edited:
Cant track down a repair kit or servo.... looks like it will be a scrapyard part. Does the facelift servo fit a preface?

I used a g-clamp to wind the caliper pistons back with the reservoir cap off and both were free and easy movement, one finger winding the lever did the job quickly. I think there would have been resistance if the caliper was dodgy. There are no fluid leaks or gummed up gunge on either side. I saw an old car parts website somewhere yesterday, going to give it a try as the ex-ophelia has arrived and my favourite scrapy is at the top of the mountain

Just my luck! No auto factor can source a servo or repair kit, nissan can source no servo in the UK, Germany or Amsterdam but it may be available from Japan.. The guy has just been told to go home as Hursts Belfast has been ordered to close for health and safety! He will be back on the ball tomorrow to see if the part and price is available.... can anyone explain these mot brake readings to me ? The first was after all new pipes and rear equaliser unit,, last year was new flexy hoses and this year all new pads and shoes

Attachments

• 15081588884911132943169.jpg
    15081588884911132943169.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
if you have a brake imbalance between left and right it's mostly a caliper problem.
check hat first.
the pistons have to move back into the caliper with little effort.
also check the guidepins that let the caliper "swim" left and right.
they have to be clean and a little bit greasy. very easy to move.
next are the brake pads. they tend to lock up on the caliper. mostly due to rust.

the next part: rusted brake disks.
they mostly have a thick layer of rust in the inside. they lower the brake performance, too.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Ensure you inspect the sliding caliper pins and seals. You can have 2 perfectly operational pistons but, if the sliders are kaput, it can cause an imbalance if you have a seizure.

An outside possibility, but check that the pads are not mismatched, (somebody in the past only changed pads on one side.....)

Ensure you inspect the sliding caliper pins and seals. You can have 2 perfectly operational pistons but, if the sliders are kaput, it can cause an imbalance if you have a seizure.
30 minutes work and 2 un-seized sliders later everything is as sweet as new :) and not a penny spent! Thanks for all the tips everyone, much appreciated, the spongy pedal threw me a curve ball as the last time my car had this symptom it was the servo. Live and learn

Back