Brake Pedal travel?

I was wondering what peoples experience of the travel on the K12 brake pedal are?
Normally I have a bit of travel and about 1/3 or 1/2 way down the pedal and then brakes really bite.
I have some very nice brembos on the are only 600miles old and when the want to stop they stop!

However, traveling home the other night I stood on the brakes hard as something stopped in the road ahead and the pedal went all the way to the floor, the ABS kicked in and the car stopped as quickly as it normally would, but the fact my foot was on the floor did not sit well with me.

I am going to speak to the garage when they open, but has anyone had this issue / think what it could be?

I was wondering what peoples experience of the travel on the K12 brake pedal are?
Normally I have a bit of travel and about 1/3 or 1/2 way down the pedal and then brakes really bite.
I have some very nice brembos on the are only 600miles old and when the want to stop they stop!

However, traveling home the other night I stood on the brakes hard as something stopped in the road ahead and the pedal went all the way to the floor, the ABS kicked in and the car stopped as quickly as it normally would, but the fact my foot was on the floor did not sit well with me.

I am going to speak to the garage when they open, but has anyone had this issue / think what it could be?
Got enough brake fluid?
Rear brakes are fine?
No leaks?
Rear brake cilinders still fine and not leaking?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

OP
OP
Kcirtap
Got enough brake fluid?
Rear brakes are fine?
No leaks?
Rear brake cilinders still fine and not leaking?

No leaks and rear brakes are fine.

Could air in the system do this? There was a point where the brake fluid reservoir got low, but I don’t think that it got empty. It has also been about 20,000 miles since I had the brake fluid changed.

How old is the brake fluid? The Nissan Workshop manual says it needs to be changed every other service.

Seems very very frequent to me but that'd be a starting point for me in this problem

Ricky

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
No leaks and rear brakes are fine.

Could air in the system do this? There was a point where the brake fluid reservoir got low, but I don’t think that it got empty. It has also been about 20,000 miles since I had the brake fluid changed.

I would be asking 'what made the brake reservoir go low, at some point'.....Only reason , other than a leak somewhere, is front pads wearing very thin, allowing much more fluid into the calipers.....

OP
OP
Kcirtap
I would be asking 'what made the brake reservoir go low, at some point'.....Only reason , other than a leak somewhere, is front pads wearing very thin, allowing much more fluid into the calipers.....

I changed the pads and as I forced the caliper back in I removed a little two much fluid, because I think as the pads bedded in it went down more then i anticipated over the following weeks.
But it has not gone down since so I don’t think it is a leak. (3 months ago).
But if there’s was a leak it could explain it.
I will bleed the whole system this weekend and hopefully see an improvement. ☺️

Do you guys have any tips for removing the bleaders, my mate had a Ford and they were all stuck and sheared off.

Thanks for your replys btw.

OP
OP
Kcirtap
How old is the brake fluid? The Nissan Workshop manual says it needs to be changed every other service.

Seems very very frequent to me but that'd be a starting point for me in this problem

Ricky
3, possible 4 years old.
My next port of call is to change the fluid on the weekend.
Any tips?
And thanks.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I changed the pads and as I forced the caliper back in I removed a little two much fluid, because I think as the pads bedded in it went down more then i anticipated over the following weeks.
But it has not gone down since so I don’t think it is a leak. (3 months ago).
But if there’s was a leak it could explain it.
I will bleed the whole system this weekend and hopefully see an improvement. ☺️

Do you guys have any tips for removing the bleaders, my mate had a Ford and they were all stuck and sheared off.

Thanks for your replys btw.
Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is to say it very readily absorbs water. when you were removing/topping up the brake fluid if you inadvertently allowed a small amount of water to get into the reservoir it could drastically reduce the boiling point of the fluid and under very heavy braking, the heat generated could cause the fluid to boil in the caliper putting gas into the system which is compressible and would cause the pedal travel to rapidly increase.....left to stand for a while and the gas bubbles rise in the system till they reach the reservoir and a normal pedal would be felt again. If this is the cause of your problem a fluid change is the answer......

OP
OP
Kcirtap
Completed a fluid change (and changed the nipples for good measure), the fluid was not a nice colour and there was a bubble in the system .
The pedal is as firm as I have ever known it which is brilliant.
Hit a bit of rust trouble on the way but penetrating fluid and a hammer sorted that!

Thanks for help guys, I just wish I could be more helpful in answering other people problems.

OP
OP
Kcirtap
Glad to hear, and now.. brake like you have never braked before

I thought the brakes were bad when I got the car so put some brembo max disks and pads on. Now it feels like I can stop instantly!

Thanks again.