Brake pedal performance

F

fastfrank

Hello All,

Does anyone find that their brake pedal travels quite a way before it really kicks in? This is really annoying as you press it slightly... realise its not doing anything then jab it more which suddenly works and gives the passengers whiplash. We've just had it in for a service and mentioned to the mechanic. He says the brakes are fine but has offered to strip the rears down and clean to see if this helps.

Most other cars I've driven have gradual degrees of stopping power... this just seems too fierce and all at once.

Comments appreciated.

Frank

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Yes it is annoying isn't it, I noticed it when I drove my mum's. How many miles has yours done?

OP
OP
F

fastfrank

Hi mate. Its just done 18k miles (and just services to).

Its going in to have the brakes stripped and cleaned (free of charge) at the dealers soon.

F

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Well, keep us up[dated, I hoped that it was only because my mum's has done about 2k

B

bobee

i have a k12, and i find that the brakes can be very harsh like that at the start of a drive, but after 20 mins or so, they soften up all nice and dandy,

my rear drums tho are poo, most of the stopping is done by the front brakes i found, then again its prob me, lol

hope u get it all sorted out..

masterbiker

Ex. Club Member
Just to add to the confusion, I found that with my brakes there is only a small window between braking gently and emergency stop teritory but I have have gotten used to it and find that I pefer my brakes this way. I haven't found that you need to push the peddle very far about 2 inches maybe 3? before the braking kicks in. Then there is mabye another inch before they are getting harsh.

Paynee

Ex. Club Member
iv noticed this on my mams k12 aswell, when applying slight pressure nowt happens, a bit more and youre sitting on the bonnet, i put it down to goin from a 7 year old car to a 1 year old one and not being used to it!

OP
OP
F

fastfrank

Just an update here.

Car went in on Wednesday to have the brakes checked out by the local dealer FREE OF CHARGE.

They didn't say what they did but my dad says the brakes seem a bit better. The only other difference noticed is that you need to pull the handbrake a lot more to make it engage.