brake line rust prevention

I live in the Netherlands so I'm not aware of regulation around brake lines and MOT but it wouldn't surprise me if it is the same regulation.

My car was welded bij someone who also did the MOT and my brake lines came back like this.
037-remleiding-behandeld.png

Looks this allowable to you?

It will be some sort of bonding rust sealant, I'm not sure what the orange one is I'm more familiar with something like POR15 which is black - the reason for it being orange is so they can see where it is applied more easily, the reason for it being shiny black is just because it looks better if you care about what the underside looks like - you see POR15 used on lifted trucks

As long as your lines are not leaking and the flexible parts are not bulging under pressure then they can pass the MOT

Nissanboy will probably know, he seems to be the resident expert on rustproofing

I see. While the work to replace is certainly doable I lack the tools or understanding what I need to buy for what price. But I didn't say no to this yet. I reckon no-one has said that one can not use non-clear rustproofing on brake lines and MOT?

It's usually at the ends that they go first, and it'll be hard to seal them where the nut is. Pretty sure you get a warning at the MOT now if there's something covering the brake lines that may hide a problem.

Brake pipes covered to a point of hiding their true condition, mainly used is grease , is a minor depending on the tester
I stripped and painted my rear ones tho can see the condition fairly well cause the paint isnt thick (this is on my orignal lines),
But basicly uk wise norinally if lines are covered and cannot see their true condition can be classed as a minor,
Also it's redoxide on them and shouldn't be bad doesn't look thickly covered
Making up copper pipe is pretty easy for it

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

With my 21 year old, I wire brush off & pickle (rust kill) any apparent rust on brake pipes/ferules jointing fittings & mountings/brackets followed up with two coats of bitumen thinned with a little diesel.

Never had any adverse comments or advisories from MOT testers although I have recently observed at least one busy body MOT tester go out of his way above & beyond his call of duty to scrape off one or two small areas of my improvised corrosion protection. That bloke created damage to the protective anti-corrosion coating (not allowed in UK MOT test regulations) & unnecessary extra work to repair the damage that he did.

Needless to say, I never went there again as they broke my long term cooperation & trust based business relationship with them.

With my 21 year old, I wire brush off & pickle (rust kill) any apparent rust on brake pipes/ferules jointing fittings & mountings/brackets followed up with two coats of bitumen thinned with a little diesel.

Never had any adverse comments or advisories from MOT testers although I have recently observed at least one busy body MOT tester go out of his way above & beyond his call of duty to scrape off one or two small areas of my improvised corrosion protection. That bloke created damage to the protective anti-corrosion coating (not allowed in UK MOT test regulations) & unnecessary extra work to repair the damage that he did.

Needless to say, I never went there again as they broke my long term cooperation & trust based business relationship with them.
I know a few people who have had that happen, even when the coating was put on by the same garage that MOT'd the car which boggled my mind

There's just not much you can really do about it, the cost of safety is regulations placed on people who are playing by the rule book too

If it were up to me, the MOT would be every 3 years but it would be more strict. This would remove unsafe cars from the road without being such a bloody inconvenience every year

This is very helpful all. I will phone my MOT man about this since I can ;) The welder and the MOT are same person, he has more cars covered with this stuff also.

And for the wheel bearing greese idea, that is good enough I figured. Good idea. Will look for less maintenance solutions but this will get me trough comming winter.