Brake line MOT failure help

So my wee Micra has just failed its MOT on brake lines with excessive corrosion on the lines themselves and ferules going to the flexis and the garage quoted... £543.62 to fix it. Am I missing something here or is this not excessively pricey?

Taking you for a ride there mate, where are they corroded?
And how bad , if you can get a pic up
Brake lines one a k11 arnt hard or costly what £20 in pipe and ends max, what the Llabour £100 an hour haha
Also which part of the line as some are really easy

OP
OP
S
Taking you for a ride there mate, where are they corroded?
And how bad , if you can get a pic up
Brake lines one a k11 arnt hard or costly what £20 in pipe and ends max, what the Llabour £100 an hour haha
Also which part of the line as some are really easy

Haven't gone and got it yet but asked around for replacing 100% of the lines from cylinder to flexis and the highest quote I got elsewhere was £350.

Just going to drive it back and leave it in the garage till after my exam. No way its more than £80 for all the materials and a long afternoon. I could buy another Micra for £550 :ROFLMAO:

Thing about yours is the lines are rubber coated only the ends can corrode
But yeah have a look as they maybe just been dicks ,
Had a few with previous mots that have failed on lies or stupid things like wanting a new Bit of tape to hold the number plate on

OP
OP
S
Thing about yours is the lines are rubber coated only the ends can corrode
But yeah have a look as they maybe just been dicks ,
Had a few with previous mots that have failed on lies or stupid things like wanting a new Bit of tape to hold the number plate on

Aye she was offering credit and all sorts when I was polite and said I can't afford it (instead of f*uck off), anything to get me to pay it. Surprising as I've never had an issue with this place before.
Next thing will be not letting me drive the mile home.

OP
OP
S
9 hours labour apparently. Maybe if I do it myself on my arse and taking a fag break 2/3 times an hour :ROFLMAO:
WiGbiHz.jpg

Mmm, I would check over.from.what you've said sounds dodgy to me
See what they are like first
I got a minor in 3 bits of brake last.week but like the lad said they arnt bad or anything ,simply put them down as cover them and it was they only thing they found worth mentioning lol , that perfectly fine Tbh

But they corrode on the brake balance and around the joints , I'll be surprised if they are all shot as stated, they don't look bad in the pics from when you did the hand brake ,

OP
OP
S
Mmm, I would check over.from.what you've said sounds dodgy to me
See what they are like first
I got a minor in 3 bits of brake last.week but like the lad said they arnt bad or anything ,simply put them down as cover them and it was they only thing they found worth mentioning lol , that perfectly fine Tbh

But they corrode on the brake balance and around the joints , I'll be surprised if they are all shot as stated, they don't look bad in the pics from when you did the hand brake ,

Aye I'm going to jack it up day after tomorrow and look for myself. They gave me some BS about having to work around the tank as to why it would take so long but I've had the tank off before and no way it took more than half an hour to empty and remove.
Even if its just one or two that're actually shot I'll just do the whole lot and fit the new lines, calipers and disks whilst I'm at it.

I replaced all my lines and flexies 4 years ago, labour intensive but less than a £100 for the parts, £40ish for the flexies, £27 for a decent pipe flaring tool and £20ish for ample copper pipping and male connectors, buy more connectors than you need. A good tip I reckon is to carefully remove the old lines in their original shape as that will save you a hell of a lot of hard work making copies

OP
OP
S
Had a look this morning and they are definitely knackered. about 40mm from flexi joint is heavily pitted.

Ordered 50ft (~15 meters) of copper nickle pipe plus some male fittings and I have everything else I hope. I still have some goodridge flexis lying about somewhere as my brother totalled his Micra before they even arrived :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
S
I replaced all my lines and flexies 4 years ago, labour intensive but less than a £100 for the parts, £40ish for the flexies, £27 for a decent pipe flaring tool and £20ish for ample copper pipping and male connectors, buy more connectors than you need. A good tip I reckon is to carefully remove the old lines in their original shape as that will save you a hell of a lot of hard work making copies

I should probably ask since you've done this before, do I need anything other than standard male ferules?

Had a look this morning and they are definitely knackered. about 40mm from flexi joint is heavily pitted.

Ordered 50ft (~15 meters) of copper nickle pipe plus some male fittings and I have everything else I hope. I still have some goodridge flexis lying about somewhere as my brother totalled his Micra before they even arrived :ROFLMAO:
Got a link? , to the pipe kinda at some point wanting to make some up and something other then plain copper

I should probably ask since you've done this before, do I need anything other than standard male ferules?
the only other item I used was ptfe plumbers tape, there were 2 pipes going into the flexies that dripped at the maximum tightness .. I replaced the end pieces twice trying to cure it

OP
OP
S
the only other item I used was ptfe plumbers tape, there were 2 pipes going into the flexies that dripped at the maximum tightness .. I replaced the end pieces twice trying to cure it

Aye always better to be safe than sorry with a bit of ptfe, maybe just bad luck with the double flare though?

OP
OP
S
So I have a question re UK MOTs and compression fittings on break pipes. I jacked up the car even further to get started on replacing all the pipes after the parts arrived... and there's no corrosion other than the 0.5-1cm around the end ferules and the 4cm on the drivers side rear pipe immediately before the ferule.

My question is; will the DVLA take issue with me just repairing this with new flexis and 10cm of new pipe with a hydraulic union to the good lengths of old pipe? It seems daft to replace ~15 meters of pipe when after going over it all for 2 hours theres only 10cm of bad pipe.

Last edited:
You can put joints in the line , done it before , and it's legit ,
Basically so long its safe and not leaking they cannot fail
Just may find it a pain to flare the old pipe

I have had fails on the exposed 10 or so mm before, all I did was gently dremell it with sandpaper and liberally coat the pipe with clear nail varnish lacquer, pleased the wife no end? did it on about 5 different cars/jeeps and all passed the retest despite the fail sheet specifying pipe replacement required. I guess if you can sand the pitting out, the pipe is still strong. Northern Ireland government run MOT centres passed them for me,, our kid has had 4 Mitsubishi l200s and an outlander this last year, guess who does all the mot work ?

OP
OP
S
I have had fails on the exposed 10 or so mm before, all I did was gently dremell it with sandpaper and liberally coat the pipe with clear nail varnish lacquer, pleased the wife no end? did it on about 5 different cars/jeeps and all passed the retest despite the fail sheet specifying pipe replacement required. I guess if you can sand the pitting out, the pipe is still strong. Northern Ireland government run MOT centres passed them for me,, our kid has had 4 Mitsubishi l200s and an outlander this last year, guess who does all the mot work ?
Haha aye thats what I've been doing for the past few years, figured its time for a more permanent solution though as this was the first fail its ever had.