Brake issue and clutch issue

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
Have a couple of niggly probs with the car recently. i could bang it up on stands and have a dig but i thought id fish for a few ideas here with you legends first.

Problem 1: only noticed it this week, may have been there a bit longer. car has been standing for a month due to my dabble with a polo again (ghay!) anyway travelling along i apply the brake they start to work, then the peddle like jumps 10mm the brakes seem to disengage for this split second. very strange problem i have never encountered before. anyone else had this? will deffo be investigating this on the weekend, may be poopoo fluid, or MC?

problem 2: this has been here since i changed the engine and clutch. basically first is very very hard to engage, 2nd is hard to engage, and some times third, but first sometimes just feels like im going to bend the gear stick, it does not crunch the gear when it goes in. im thinking maby i have lined something up wrong on the linkage side, i have tried adjusting the cable in and out and it didnt seem to make much difference appart from the bite point.

any input appreciated if you have had any experience. im still learning the jap car fundimentals :D

OP
OP
hoopdub

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
ye, dont know about the friction plate, was a brand new luk clutch that went in, think its linkages like you said, pretty common eh?

another thought on the brakes, could it be the rear comp valve as im sure i havent put it back from when it was lowered, its now standard height :D

I'm not entirely familar with the k11 as I havent been under mine much but I know with my pulsar when the friction plate went it gradually got worse over a period of use, it wasn't just out of the blue.

When i changed the clutch and reassembled, the entire linkage had shifted and I had similar issues to what your describing so it needed adjusting at the rubber bush to the back of the linkage under the gear shifter, once this was sorted gear change was smooth and very easy

Sent from... My phone

OP
OP
hoopdub

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
Just incase anyone is interested in an update. the joint at the front of the main shift bar nearest the gearbox it worn, there is about 2mm of movement in the bush before it moves the joint itself. strangely the linkage on my car is not replaceable without changing the entire var, as the join itself has a pressed pin holding it together, where as the later K11c ones are bolted, so im going to change the lot to the K11c type to make it easier :D will kepp you posted, but i cant see why this wont solve the problem.

OP
OP
hoopdub

hoopdub

Club Member (Trial)
ok so the 2mm of movement was an exageration, its more about half a mm of movement. i just cut out the old bush, and fitted a later one, and my gears back woop woop

rusty messy old one with a flaired pin

260820122170.jpg

260820122171.jpg

260820122174.jpg

had to grind both sides of the pin off and prize it out of the bar, i had a complete k11c linkage but i could not be arsed to swap the lot, that would involve dropping the zorst etc etc, after id cut it out i had to make to hole to the offside of the bar slightly bigger to accomodate the new bolt so out came the drill, cleaned it all up, banged a load of copper grease on everything, bolted up the newer bushes and voila, gears are back :D

heres the mess i took out

280820122176.jpg