Brake discs

• Thread starter Deleted member 29304
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 29304

Hi All, I have to ask what is the minimum thickness for the disc's also the pads, as at the moment my K11's discs are around 10mm and can they wear down to 8mm and be safe? And I have noticed that on ebay there are discs advertised for as little as £13.39 per set does anyone have a clue what quality they are at that price?

Yours Peter0003

Pagid and brembo discs are good quality from experience. Cheap discs can be a false economy because they wear out so much faster. And yes solid (unvented) front discs that are 10mm when new can wear down to 8mm or one mm from each face combined with a minimum pad thickness of 2mm. Discs can be used past this point but at heat are more likely to warp, create brake pulsating and cause uneven or excessive pad and disc wear.

Car needs to stop as good as it goes. Don't skimp on your only way of stopping the car, you'll regret it when you rearend someone because you couldn't stop on a pin.

I've always used eischer discs and brembo pads on my micras. Even boosted this was enough imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
I have always used the cheapest discs I can find on the rally cars, always worked fine even when getting them glowing red hot!

Only stopped now with the Micra as I am running with C curls grooved into them.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
I have always used the cheapest discs I can find on the rally cars, always worked fine even when getting them glowing red hot!

Only stopped now with the Micra as I am running with C curls grooved into them.
Probably far more important to chose the 'right' pads... though super cheap discs will possibly be more prone to warping than 'quality' discs......
When I got my K12 it exhibited very noticeable vibration, through the steering wheel, under breaking from speed. I could see no obvious problems with the discs/pads on the front and the service history showed them as having being replaced about 12K miles before. I decided to replace anyway and £40 bought a set of genuine Mintex discs and pads, which cured the vibration problem instantly. I have however since replaced the Mintex pads with Pagid ones (after about 10K miles) and greatly improved the braking feel/initial bite. The Mintex pads I removed had worn surprisingly little, reinforcing my initial feeling that they are a very hard pad.
I have also got Pagid pads all round on my Saab, and earlier in the year replaced the front and rear discs and pads with Pagid on my daughters P12 Primera, would recommend Pagid whole heartedly,,,,,,(better all round than the EBC Green Stuff that I had previously used on a Pug 205 and my earlier Saab 9-3 hatch).

Last edited:
Probably far more important to chose the 'right' pads... though super cheap discs will possibly be more prone to warping than 'quality' discs. When I got my K12 it exhibited very noticeable vibration, through the steering wheel, under breaking from speed. I could see no obvious problems with the discs/pads on the front and the service history showed them as having being replaced about 12K miles before. I decided to replace anyway and £40 bought a set of genuine Mintex discs and pads, which cured the vibration problem instantly. I have however since replaced the Mintex pads with Pagid ones (after about 10K miles) and greatly improved the braking feel/initial bite. The Mintex pads I removed had worn surprisingly little, reinforcing my initial feeling that they are a very hard pad.
I have also got Pagid pads all round on my Saab, and earlier in the year replaced the front and rear discs and pads with Pagid on my daughters P12 Primera, would recommend Pagid whole heartedly,,,,,,(better all round than the EBC Green Stuff that I had previously used on a Pug 205 and my earlier Saab 9-3 hatch).

Agreed, no brand eBay discs are without a doubt often made out of cheese. The budget likes you get in motor factors such as eurocarparts don't tend to be as bad from my experience, I have heavy feet when it comes to driving and I'm yet to warp a set of eischer discs fitted to various cars (including my e46 330i) I did however glaze a set of their pads on my first micra. Since then I've fitted brembo pads and never had that problem. Worth noting changing the brake fluids a good idea which many micras probably don't have done in their lifespan!

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Never warped them on a Micra, warping is often due to a lack of cleaning when fitting the new disc...

You all do know they are all made in the same town in China anyway?

But being made in the same place doesn't mean they are made of the same material, some being softer some being harder metals etc and different manufacturing processes... or are they?

Not trying to be facetious I'm just going on own limited experience and I'm curious if you mean they are essentially the same across brands because I'm all for saving some of them pennies if the quality is going to be good!

I've used a variety of brands over the years and yeah mostly cheap pads suck but I've also had issues with discs wearing excessively fast, warping and causing vibrations when driving but I never had these issues with mid range stuff like pagid for example...

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Never warped them on a Micra, warping is often due to a lack of cleaning when fitting the new disc...

You all do know they are all made in the same town in China anyway?
Totally inaccurate sweeping statements!
THIS destroys the myth you are peddling.........

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Totally inaccurate sweeping statements!
THIS destroys the myth you are peddling.........
Errm? Not sure if that is you agreeing with me or not.

I can only give my experience of nearly 10 years of rallying a Micra, have had the discs glowing hot many times, then into water splashes etc.. never warped them in this time... All whilst running el cheapo discs...

Of course I do properly bed in discs and pads, and I don't hold the brakes on when hot which causes pad transfer, which often gives a warped feel.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru

I can only give my experience of nearly 10 years of rallying a Micra, have had the discs glowing hot many times, then into water splashes etc.. never warped them in this time... All whilst running el cheapo discs...

Of course I do properly bed in discs and pads, and I don't hold the brakes on when hot which causes pad transfer, which often gives a warped feel.
Did you click on the hyperlink in my reply, which leads to a UK company that produces 1/2 million discs a year........so no, not all automotive discs originate in one town in China.......
It is possible to source very good quality discs via ebay at silly 'el cheapo' prices, I have just bought a pair of genuine Delphi rear discs for my Saab 9-3 for £24 inc carriage.........

SuperUno

Buy & Sell Member
Did you click on the hyperlink in my reply, which leads to a UK company that produces 1/2 million discs a year........so no, not all automotive discs originate in one town in China.......
It is possible to source very good quality discs via ebay at silly 'el cheapo' prices, I have just bought a pair of genuine Delphi rear discs for my Saab 9-3 for £24 inc carriage.........
Ah I missed that bit (been a hectic weekend) - fair enough.

I usually buy brembo or pagid discs from EurocarParts and the brembos I bought last month cost me 28 pound for the pair with their standard 36% off but if you're willing to wait a bit or buy them a bit in advance you can get them for half price the ripoff retail price, free delivery.

I've never heard of Delphi before, assuming they're good?

I usually buy brembo or pagid discs from EurocarParts and the brembos I bought last month cost me 28 pound for the pair with their standard 36% off but if you're willing to wait a bit or buy them a bit in advance you can get them for half price the ripoff retail price, free delivery.

Delphi make oem nissan parts. Pretty sure I've taken a set off a micra with DELPHI NISSAN printed on them. They're good same league as pagid I'd say.

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru

You've never heard of Delphi before? I'm surprised....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphi_Automotive o_O

Hi All, I have to ask what is the minimum thickness for the disc's also the pads, as at the moment my K11's discs are around 10mm and can they wear down to 8mm and be safe? And I have noticed that on ebay there are discs advertised for as little as £13.39 per set does anyone have a clue what quality they are at that price?

Yours Peter0003

Why buy cheap and junk private label discs and pads?
Always buy aftermarket branded.

Apec are a great brand and price. Apec is made by Remsa.
Apec are made in the UK.
I always use Icer Pads as they're nrs and made in Spain.

Apec discs and icer pads also have a long warranty.

Why buy cheap discs and pads to compromise on your safety?

If they're available, Fremax discs are fantastic too.

Also, you can always trust old Brembo and Jurid.

I bought this set.
No squeaking.. instant stopping from first installation.
I'd highly recommend this set for £59.00

It includes all pads, discs, brake cleaner and even paste.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182731762270

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171219-163726.jpg
    Screenshot_20171219-163726.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 312

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Why buy cheap and junk private label discs and pads?
Always buy aftermarket branded.

Apec are a great brand and price. Apec is made by Remsa.
Apec are made in the UK.
I always use Icer Pads as they're nrs and made in Spain.

Apec discs and icer pads also have a long warranty.

Why buy cheap discs and pads to compromise on your safety?

If they're available, Fremax discs are fantastic too.

Also, you can always trust old Brembo and Jurid.

I bought this set.
No squeaking.. instant stopping from first installation.
I'd highly recommend this set for £59.00

It includes all pads, discs, brake cleaner and even paste.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/182731762270
Agree, one of the first things I did to my K12 Micra when I got it was to replace the front discs and pads with a known good make set, in my case 'Mintex', at the very reasonable price of £40 inc. of p&p, though I have since (after about 10K miles) changed the almost unworn Mintex pads for 'Pagid' ones which are softer and have appreciably better cold 'bite'........

When bedding in pads. Especially my OMP discs and pads. Transferring a bit of pad to the disc gives a better bite.its the same as when drag racers do a 7 metre burn out and transfer rubber to the strip. Rubber on rubber gives better grip.
Running your pads on pad material also helps the pad and disc last longer.

I find high carbon discs the best. Not carbon coated, but actually manufactured with a higer carbon content to match a high carbon pad.

However, you couldbe a better driver than me and have a better braking technique too

Agree, one of the first things I did to my K12 Micra when I got it was to replace the front discs and pads with a known good make set, in my case 'Mintex', at the very reasonable price of £40 inc. of p&p, though I have since (after about 10K miles) changed the almost unworn Mintex pads for 'Pagid' ones which are softer and have appreciably better cold 'bite'........

Yeah, Mintex are a good general OE pad. Pagid/Mintex/Textar are all made by TMD Friction. Even Eicher is, except ECP contract the work to TMD Friction. In the future, they could have a contract with honeywell or lockheed to make them.

The best pads I've ever used are Unipart and I googled them up and they had a really high rating. They outperformed every brand. TMD Friction were so upset.
Quay brake test back in 2013.

http://www.catmag.co.uk/unipart-puts-brakes-to-the-test-and-annoys-competition

The pads i would avoid would be the likes of Fahren, Braymann, Comline, Allied Nippon and Chase.

Im also a Crx owner and many of the forum members scream about PBS pads.

Sometimes it's easy to get great deals in premium and mid range friction components. Especially if your micra takes the solid and not the vented style discs.

Delphi make oem nissan parts. Pretty sure I've taken a set off a micra with DELPHI NISSAN printed on them. They're good same league as pagid I'd say.

Ill he a know it all for you now.
Whats happened is nissan and renault share many parts.
Delphi is OEM for Renault when it comes to pads, injectors and some other components.
Carlos Ghosn came along and was made CEO of Renault and Nissan. He them decided to share many clio bits on the k12 micra and onwards.

When Nissan were independent from Renault and never shared the same gearboxes and other bits of junk.

All of nissan pads were Akebono or Jurid for the k11.
Akebono even use to design the braking system on many japanese cars. Akebono are also associated with Sutimoto.

I use to be an apprentice at a nissan dealership back in 2003. (I never finished my apprenticeship though).

You won't go too far wrong with a set of Delphi pads and discs though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171220-011205.png
    Screenshot_20171220-011205.png
    643.8 KB · Views: 306
  • Screenshot_20171220-011147.png
    Screenshot_20171220-011147.png
    578.7 KB · Views: 275