Botched wheel alignment?

Hi everyone,

I recently posted here for some advice on my steering wheel play and wobble over 60ish mph and it was suggested I got my wheels aligned and balanced. I did that a few days later and it seemed much better, in fact I did a 300 mile journey and I was very impressed with how smooth the drive was compared to before.

However, over the last week or so it's gradually been going back to it's old ways and it now feels as bad as it did, very excessive play in the steering and wobble at just 40mph.

So what I'm wondering is, is it common, or even known, for garages to botch a wheel alignment?

I was a little concerned when they sent me away for an hour and a half - at previous garages they took only a few minutes and let me watch. And when I went to pick it up I only received a receipt for the price, no print out of the readings or proof they had actually done anything. I thought this strange at the time as I have always received some kind of paper with before and after readings but didn't have the chance to question it as the guy was on the phone.

I'm extremely angry as I don't have the time or money to get it done again. I went to Halfords as they are the cheapest and closest to me but now feel like I've been ripped off...

Normally if the steering becomes vague/different you need track rod ends done. A buddy always parks his car up the kerb and that knocks your wheel alignment off. I would stab a guess on either of those unless the garage didn't tighten the lock nut after setting it for you. But that would be very bad!!!

Take it back and ask them to check it again....that bit is free.
If it shows up as out of balance, and alignment, or just one of them,then i would ask some serious questions as to what they did exactly last time.
I would insist on staying there, and would flatly refuse to pay again if it required further adjustment.
Once sorted, go to another garage and have it checked again without telling them why.
That way you will know if it has been done correctly.
Unfortunately I have had similar.

OP
OP
Kate90
Take it back and ask them to check it again....that bit is free.
If it shows up as out of balance, and alignment, or just one of them,then i would ask some serious questions as to what they did exactly last time.
I would insist on staying there, and would flatly refuse to pay again if it required further adjustment.
Once sorted, go to another garage and have it checked again without telling them why.
That way you will know if it has been done correctly.
Unfortunately I have had similar.

With Halfords you have to book and pay upfront online, it doesn't mention anything on their website about a free check. Wouldn't they just turn me away?
Was it Halfords you went to?

Bls- I've not hit a kerb since the tracking was done 3 weeks ago, I don't park on any kerbs so I can't have knocked it out.
You might be right with them not tightening it properly, which is why it gradually got worse again over the last couple of week, surely if I'd hot something it would have been immediate?
I can't help thinking the garage will accuse me of knocking it out myself and refuse to do a thing.

Have it checked at another garage first - then go back with the relevant information if needs be.
They may of course find something unrelated to the balance, and tracking, but at least you'd know.

It depends on what equipment they have as to weather you'd get a print out. We have some fancy £20k 4 wheel alignment system at my work that allows adjustment of everything but if they just used the old style gauges with a mirror it only checks front toe. It is possible to botch it as I recently had a car come back after I advised it for alignment but the customer went somewhere cheaper. They then made it worse then it was before! I would suggest going somewhere that does proper 4 wheel alignment get a print out before they adjust anything then go back to the garage and have both lots refunded. It possibly sounds like something had come loose or there is play in a component which should have been checked before the alignment was carried out though so get it checked ASAP