Bosch Super-4 Spark Plugs

amanda had them in, imo no they dont. They just overcharge you a load of money. I find standard plugs are good enough, they spark and make it go bang. I dont see what extra sparks would do imo. Even if you do get a gain you wont feel it.

Zephyr said:
these look interesting but titch just installed some ngk plugs hmmm wonder which would be better?

The NGK ones are just standard ones mate, would give you any more performace from them i don't think.

i'm running four point ignition but it's not a noticable increase in performance, i suppose it would make more difference in a turbo'd car becuse of the forced fuel pressure...

yea and they don't need the gap adjusting either,

so they have benifits just not performance ones :)

i have them and they do make a difference when coupled with other things. they give you better combustion by providing a better spark, but if you buy them you need to get upgraded ht leads. this is what the spark travels down to get to the plug. without these gettin super 4's will be pointless.

Sorry, they make no difference at all, even "when coupled with other things". Combustion is combustion - if the spark is powerful enough to start it, that's good enough. Unless the rest of the system is marginal, the spark is always much more powerful than it needs to be. Just buy normal spark plugs, they do the job just as well and for a lot less cost.

really dont agree. The better and more powerfull the spark the better and more effiecent the fuel/air is going to burn. Especially if you do go for the super 4's. yeah the increase wont be astronommical but there will be a difference. Especially if you go on to do more serious modifications like turbos etc.

these super 4s are ok for the first 10 miles and then they cause running problems - esp on the SR20DE engines!!

the better ones are the NGK ones

the combustion chamber is enclosed when the fuel is ignited, so having a larger arc isn't going to increase the amount of fuel burned, a larger more powerful arc wont speed combustion

the brighter the spark the more garantee that will ignight.

the four point spark plug is four times more likly to produce a spark.

also the four point spark plug does not need the gap to be adjusted making it easier to maintain.

it takes longer for the carbon deposits to build up so the plug needs to be replaced less often.

sometimes there can be a spark but it doesn't ignight the fuel so better HT leeds and multi pole spark plugs mean that there will be a powerful spark every time which will get the most out of your fuel

I have tried 2 sets in my cars in the past, one in the normal K10 and then in the March ST. Both times results were disapointing. The K10 ones fouled up, and were tempermential and in the March ST they simply broke down and failed to work causing bad misfire. I wouldnt use them again and definately recommend against them for a turbo car.

At the moment I am using Champion EON1's. They are I would say perhaps the best plug I have used so far definately on the ST. I have the cold range plugs, they are not suited to NA really as they may foul up due to incorrect running temps. But I think they do make EON plugs for the K11 too.

Sorry to bumpobumping this very old topic, but what are the detailed references for the Champion EON? Any link would be that appreciated !

Right now I have regular cheap Bosh, but I'm quite disapointed and want to change, had a few misfires that I didn't had with the stock NGK, but I'm still hesitating between coming back to the NGK BKR5E11 and trying the Champion EON.

Thanks

Seb

I dunno about other brands but on NGK spark plugs the first number (e.g. BKR5E-11) refers to the heat range of the spark plug.
The heat range is the temperature the spark plug works best at. At optimal temperatures the plug will start to self clean, it will start to burn the carbon off the end.
A standard or lightly tuned K11 Micra is well suited to heat range 5. Too high a heat rating will cause the plugs to carbon up as they are not getting hot enough to burn their carbon off. Wheras a Turbo'd or super highly tuned one would need heat range 6 to avoid melting plugs, pistons etc.

Not sure about the Bosch plugs, if they look the same and they are not platinum tipped you are probably wasting money.

If you buy the Multi electrode ones (like the ones fitted to older Golfs and Astras) or the Splitfire ones they give you slightly more power (not enough to notice) because the spark will always find the path of least resistance, in otherwards the smallest gap. You don't get 2 big sparks like the picture on the box! LOL!

The moral? unless you have a highly tuned turbo monster, stick to NGR BKR5E-11

Thanks for the reply mate ! I'm not after power, just reliability and good fuel economy (mainly small city trips shorter than 15 minutes) I will stick to the NGK so thanks for the advice ;)

Ed: Way old, but way interesting, should be a "sticky" topic IMHO :)

Cheers !

Seb

Super-4's are not worth the money. I've never tried any of the EONs but I have never had any problems with NGK's in my NA K11.

FYI BKR5E-11's are only really good for a standard K11. I run BKR7E-11, (Matt stocks them), as the 5's were too hot from the plug analysis. 7's are ok for now but I'll will need to switch to an 8 in the future as even the 7's are on the limit for my setup.

Plug analysis? On a dyno? Or on the road?

What sort of setup are you running? (Had a quick look, couldn't find many clues! Looks great though! LOL!)

Back