Boot struts...

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
Well due to a long time of having a heavy smoothed boot my struts no longer have any life left in them to hold the boot open lol. Would I be able to just replace them with micra ones again or would I need heavy duty ones to hold it up?? If I need heavy duty ones, would anyone be able to recommend a site or link etc?? Thanks.

mean micra

www.mightymicra.co.uk
same here mine dont hold at all...
i use my snooker cue case to hold it up..lol

i think you can get better ones but not sure for the micra... my mates got these bonnet lifters with smooth action on his golf... do you think they can be modified to fit at all??? there on EBay for £30 iirc... thin but lift a lot...

TONEY

Ex. Club Member
mean micra said:
same here mine dont hold at all...
i use my snooker cue case to hold it up..lol

i think you can get better ones but not sure for the micra... my mates got these bonnet lifters with smooth action on his golf... do you think they can be modified to fit at all??? there on EBay for £30 iirc... thin but lift a lot...

bonnet lifters wont be strong enough the boot is very heavy

same ere...split my bonse open on it the other week while unpacking the shopping.

It was at maximum downwards swing as I launched my head into it to get the next set of bags!!

Had a SWEAR FILTER EVADING IS NOT TOLERATED concussion... can you beleive it!! the worst blow to the head in my LIFE...right on the corner!!

had a cartoon lump!...lol

SO.....if anyone finds a solution bulk-buy me in!

D4R73N

Ex. Club Member
i had the same on my k10, the two spoilers made it come down like a ton of bricks!!...

I'll never forget the time my boot almost knocked my mate out for the 10-count!! lol

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
SammoHung said:
same ere...split my bonse open on it the other week while unpacking the shopping.

It was at maximum downwards swing as I launched my head into it to get the next set of bags!!

Had a edited concussion... can you beleive it!! the worst blow to the head in my LIFE...right on the corner!!

had a cartoon lump!...lol

SO.....if anyone finds a solution bulk-buy me in!

Haha, sorry mate but that made me laugh!!! Mine has done the same numerous times and its a pain in the rear end when you are fitting ICE etc. Espeically since mine has the boot smoothed to the corners, it now has two sharp points on either side which I have nearly impaled myself on once or twice. :S

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Yeah i think i need new ones too. Was doing some electrical work in the back of my k10 the other day and it came crashing down on my back. Absolute agony!! Im also on the look out for some stronger alternative ones

Speedle

Ex. Club Member
mine alwasy fall down esp when its cold! bloody crap they are on all k10's im going to hunt for an upgrade at the scrappies this weekend ;)

simmo

Official micra geek!
Iv almost been knocked out numerous times myself, bad design or just gettin old! i replaced mine with a newer set of ebay a while back and it just about stays up now. Be good to see if anyone can come up with somethin beter thou!

I have the stock ones and they are very strong, boot never fell down, not even in the cold, and the car is a '87 micra dx !! :laugh:

I think you guys just need new original ones, not sure about micra man though...

S

SteelySniper

i've never had this problem but then i only have a stock boot, it worries me tho cos i'm considering making some lambo door hinges with boot struts to push the door upwards, so if anybody finds some really strong ones i'd appreciate it

OP
OP
micra man

micra man

Golf GTi Turbo
May just go down to the scrapy yard and find some relatively unused ones and see how they go, or look for some similar ones, as mine have been used for a while now. :s

I have just removed a pair from my K10. I dont need them on a race car
only going to keep the outter skin.
I removed them this morning they hold the tail gate up no prob, and it was ****** cold.
If any one whats them just pay the postage.

If your offer is still open Mick, then I'll take you up on it...let me know your postage charges and payment preferences.

Its np of you've allready got rid of them ...just let me know..cheers

No problem. Just mail me your postal address.
pay anyway you like. (paypal ? cheque)
I will post as soon as I know where to send em.

Mick,

Cheers for the struts!

They are now fitted and they hold tail-gate right out at 90 degrees!!!

I cant beleive the difference! its amaising, considering that they are ultimately exactly the same part.

What year was your car??...Mine is 1992.

Thanks again mate,

I am BEEEEEEEEEMING :)))

I am pleased that you are pleased,
They came off of my 1989 1.0ltr G L.
The car is still bright red no fadeing at all, no rust any where.
It must have been somebody's pride and joy !!
When I got it the only thing wrong with it was a nackerd gearbox.
It was a shame to strip it.
Perhaps it will enjoy its new life on the race track ??
A little off post but do you know if Seat Ibiza wheels will fit my K10.?

the centre bore is different. only nissan do 59.1 centre bore. the wheels might go over but the studs will be taking all the weight. no good for racing or road in my opinion.

QuiggyWoo

Club Member (Trial)
LOL at this thread.

I phoned Nissan the other day to get a price on new boot struts. 160.00 + VAT Each! I decided to buy some off ebay and got a relatively decent pair for 15.00.

They were a pain in the butt to install. Left one was fine, nice and easy but then i did the stupid thing of taking off the other side! Boot came down link a sack of spuds. Holding the boot up with my head and trying to put in two screws that insisted on cross threading every single time! wow that hurt. Then after an hour I managed to do it. Worked for a week then the boot started to fall down again.

I don't think there is anything else I could try but if anyone has solved it please let me know!

RTLkyuubi

Ex. Club Member
get some modern bonnet 1's like off a ford mondeo. The diesel bonnets are really heavy because of the sound deadening material on it.