Boot lock, can anyone explain this

Problem with boot lock, eventually got it open with some Russian gymnast type contortions, replaced the lock, all good, except engine won't start, starting motor turns for about 2 seconds and stops, good speed etc so battery is fine but no ignition.
Could find nothing, so in desperation, I unplugged lead from new boot lock, vroom, engine starts, reconnect plug to boot lock, all is fine, engine starts as usual, what happened, any ideas,

John_D

Club Member
Radio Code Guru
Almost certainly damaged wiring in the 'elephants trunk' between the car body and the tailgate.. (probably nothing wrong with your original lock....)

OP
OP
mike putt
Almost certainly damaged wiring in the 'elephants trunk' between the car body and the tailgate.. (probably nothing wrong with your original lock....)
The lock was shagged alright, it initially started with the boot switch making all the right noises but not releasing, so when i got it out there was a spring hanging out of it, and I couldn't open and close it by hand, when I put the new one in, I tried it 4 or 5 times with the boot open and once it didn't work so I opened up the elephants trunk and one cable was broken, sorted this out and as I said lock works fine but car wouldn't start, unplugged lead onto new boot lock, car started, put lead back on, and all is fine, weird as f**k, just wonder did this happen to anyone else