Boost controllers

Andy_S

I Love Booooooost!
Club Member
Ok guys I'm struggling to understand stuff on turbos so I'm now asking someone to dumb it down for me

I have a garrett t28 turbo on my k11 and want a boost controller pref electronic but don't know which one to get which one will work with my turbo and how does it fit/wire up etc

Basically I want to turn turbo boost up or down from in the car when I want ie for just town driving or track where I can turn it right up.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im using the gizzmo ibc-r and its very straight forward. Theres a vacuum pipe that goes from the compressor side of the turbo to the actuator. You tee into that and that goes to the boost solenoid then into the back of the controller. This gizzmo also acts as a boost gauge and is more accurate. It stores 6 settings of boost and its a click of a button to change it, obviously theres the 12v, earth and ignition wires if i remember correctly to be wired in too. £250 off ebay

eBay item number 150823919826

That the one? Electric wiring is easy as I'm a electrician by trade and done wiring before :)

So you can have 6 settings like 2psi for launching off without wheelspin in 1st gear then when you hit a higher gear turn up boost? What's rpm dependant? Lol

Does it work well. What u running again?

So you can have 6 settings like 2psi for launching off without wheelspin in 1st gear then when you hit a higher gear turn up boost?

Not quite, the you can only control the boost pressure that's higher than the actuator,

So if your actuator is 7psi, you can only adjust it higher than that

Yeah that's the one, there universal fit. And yeah 6 settings of boost, my low boost is 0.54 of a bar and high boost is 0.88 of a bar. Low boost I never use LOL I was hoping (because of wheel spin) to wire a switch up to the steering wheel so it's easier to access when racing as leaning down to the middle of the dash to click the button would be a pain every time you hit 3 gear lol rpm dependant I think lets you choose at what stage your boost comes in at, and I'm running a cg13det at 133whp

So I cannot turn the boost down to less than 7psi in this example? But can set to 10psi for example?

So I cannot turn the boost down to less than 7psi in this example? But can set to 10psi for example?

aye, the wastegate setting is your minimum, and the controller can add psi to that andy :)

Wooooooh! Hold on a min. Let me get this straight. So if I set the actuator lower than it is now which apparently its 9psi then I can electronically turn it back up? So if actuator set to 4psi for example I can turn it back up to 9psi or higher whenever I want?

Wooooooh! Hold on a min. Let me get this straight. So if I set the actuator lower than it is now which apparently its 9psi then I can electronically turn it back up? So if actuator set to 4psi for example I can turn it back up to 9psi or higher whenever I want?

yes :)

Ok brill I get it. What's the lowest I can set the garrett t28 psi to? And how do u do it? Lol

you can get 5psi actuators, they tend to be a generic fitting tho (probably need fettling to fit) you can see the spring around my rod here.
so if you have (for instance) a 10kg spring inside the actuator pulling the rod/wastegate shut, and you fit a 5kg spring over the rod, you end up with half the boost

PB140333.JPG

just to add/bare in mind that the softer the actuator pressure the less it will hold the boost top end even if you have a controller to turn it up. I currently have 5-7 psi spring, but trying to run 14 psi just wont hold: instead I get more boost spike when increasing it, and boost curve tails off through the rev range making less power then I should be. Depending on what boost your planing to run, a higher rated spring closer to your psi no. would be better along with controller, or ext wastegate as frank mentioned :)

Back