Blue smoke B reg K10

Hi all,

I picked up an almost mint B reg K10 at the weekend. The bodywork is almost perfect with no evident rust. I figured it might do if one of mine fails the MOT.

Couple of problems.. 1. he had no pressure in the brake system and it needed topping up with fluid. Possible leak somewhere.

2. it is a bit of a smoker

My question is.. what is the most like cause of oil burn and how to check?
I am thinking it is probably the piston rings.. could I observe the wear if I was to crack the engine and inspect? That said.. I suppose I may as well go ahead and do them if I have gone that far already!

thanks

1. possibly a rusted brake pipe somewhere
2. valve stem oil seals or piston rings, best to change both at same time and regrind the valves in

1. possibly a rusted brake pipe somewhere
2. valve stem oil seals or piston rings, best to change both at same time and regrind the valves in

Gotta agree with Fordy on the burning oil. one of the most common things to go to burn oil!

Piston rings.

K10 engines are prone to clog up on the oil feed gallerys to the oil control rings on the pistons. When this happen wear increases and they dont last long (not that they seem to anyway). You can replace the rings without taking the engine out. just remove the head and sump.

Ed

My K10 started burning oil at about 90,000 miles, and now at just under 110k, one of the piston rings and/or valve seals in the first cylinder packed in completely. They have a name for burning oil at an early age. My cousin had a '90 K10 before, and granted it had 185k miles on it, it was burning nearly more oil than petrol!

it sound like rings or valva stem oil seals.....i have a very low milage (38k) ma10 if your interested £60...

it sound like rings or valva stem oil seals.....i have a very low milage (38k) ma10 if your interested £60...

Thanks for that. It sounds like it would be cheaper than doing the rings.
My only problem is that my own k10 is out of MOT at the moment..
I am permitted to repair my wife's but am not allowed to drive it...

I was also wondering whether I could rip up the motorway with a loose engine in the back! lol I would have to lash it down in case of er.. incidents..
or take the passenger seat out and have it by my side.. better than behind me!

I will give it some thought though
thanks

I may just swap my nice engine and 5 speed box and then junk my battered vehicle... it is just the logistics of swapping the engines over so I can to the dump under my own steam. The irony is that my wife's car is THE most battered but she is 'attached' to it.

Back