Blowing backbox and engine problems

hey guys have been reading up and searching around the forums for a few hours and still no wiser

i have a 1995 k11 1.0

have had a slightly blowing backbox for a few months now. was just a small hole nothing to write home about, and as this is just my 'get to work car' i wasnt really to fussed about fixing it untill it got worse.

over the last couple of weeks its got much bigger probably half a fist in size getting a new one put on this friday at my local indy :)

so the engine arround the time the hole got bigger 2 weeks ish it has started to play up
starts and drives ok untill it gets warm the revs drop to the point of stalling and sometimes does when sitting at the lights. its jerky and crap you can hear the air getting sucked in to the backbox and it pops and farts like an old man. theres also like a rev limiter judder (not as strong but faster) at times but the engine isnt racing

do you think its the backbox causing the problems or will it be more sinister
will eliminate the backbox on friday so will find out more then
any advice?

Sounds like the electrical connections for you MAF sensor have dried up which leads to an irregular signal from it to the ECU (common problem), there is a guide to re-soldering them on this site somewhere but in brief you have to remove a metal cover on your throttle body and find the three connections which go to the maf sensor (pretty obvious once you get the plate off, you need to heat up the solder and remove it, then apply new solder to the joints, should cure the problem (Y)
wouldnt have thought it was anything to do with the back box, coincidental i would say :)

OP
OP
J
yeah looks easy enough i found the pdf earlyer, just need to dig out the iron migh have a go tomorow after work

r-reg have a locking filler cap and its had about £30 through it since it started hapening

thanks for the input guys

anything i could have a look at whilst the bonnets open?

OP
OP
J
hey guys got my backbox done

re-soldered the maf no joy if anything it got worse

picked up a TB from Autoline motors in froghall, today called in advance and they took it off the car for me. it was sitting there on the parts counter when i arrived :D it cost £30
and it works!! the engine is running perfect now even better than when i brought it in march throttle response is improved now has a steady quiet idle uses less fuel just as it should be. it even starts better its like the engine only half turns over before it kicks in lol :grinning: