Bloody gear knob

Hi guys, I’ve read a few posts but would like some extra perspective. I’ve got a 2004 K12 Micra SE with the plastic gearknob with plastic white sides. It’s horrible. It feels impossible to twist off and whenever I pull it out vertically the whole gearstick pops up almost like dislocating an arm. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks :)

from what I've seen they do twist or pull, they just take a fu*k load of grip and determination (and swearing) to do the first time

There will be youtube videos of people getting them off left-handed to make you think you're soft or doing something wrong, but they've already had them off once when the camera wasn't rolling so they're already loose

Check to make sure there's no sort of retaining screw or clip or something just in case it isn't the factory one and has been replaced by somebody else at some point, but it should twist or pull off

Hiya mate, they definitely twist out, but it's pretty difficult to do. If you're definitely replacing it (hence you don't mind damaging it), I'd recommend using mole grips on a cloth wrapped around the gear knob. That should give you a strong enough grip to 'break the seal' between the gear knob and the stalk.

Hope that helps ✌

Hiya mate, they definitely twist out, but it's pretty difficult to do. If you're definitely replacing it (hence you don't mind damaging it), I'd recommend using mole grips on a cloth wrapped around the gear knob. That should give you a strong enough grip to 'break the seal' between the gear knob and the stalk.

Hope that helps ✌

Hi all thanks for the help. Awkwardly for me trying to rag it counter clockwise for a good half hour, turns out the gear knob lifts off vertically without breaking a sweat. Just have to remove the little elastic band holding the gater onto the knob and the bloody thing pops off so easily?‍♂️

Back