bleeding brakes....

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Is this easy? Being a young driver, ive never done this before so wish to know if it is worth me trying it?

Im asking as i want to fit the k11 hubs and disks that i bought off arnold few weeks back! But unsure if id end up messing it all up!

So can anyone give me advise on how to? Or anyone near me possibly make time for me to come to you so can learn by watching/doing? Lol.

Cheers,
Sam.

ollie240585

Ex. Club Member
A bleeding kit is mainly just a piece of hose, It goes over the bleed nipple to give a visual aid of when the air has left the system. Be careful to keep an eye on your brake fluid level when bleeding the system, you shouldn't go below the minimum line.

biggest problem here IMO is the condition of the bleeding nipples (sounds painfull...LOL)

Ihave had a couple where tey have been in tight and there has been corrosion on the hex nut too...

result-> rounded nipple nut and no looostening (no bleeding possible)

replacement assembly needed

hissyfizzy

Ex. Club Member
Bleeding Brakes is really easy, it must be if I can do it. Don't get one of those Vacuum bleeding kits got one didn't like it.

All you need is the following or one of the following

Jam jar (empty)
Bit of tube (from the fish tank)
Better still a one way kit (£5 from the local car parts store)

Bottle of brake fluid

Spanner to undo bleed nipples

Undo one nipple at a time with the tube on it get a friend to press the brake pedal slowly up and down watch for fluid coming out of the tube, one way tube is better as it stops the air going back up oh make sure you keep the master cylinder topped up.

Once all the air/gunk is out of the (no bubbles left) push the pedal down and do the nipple up and move onto the next.

Make sure the pedal is good and hard and not soft hey presto it's done takes around 30 mins.

Good mini tutorial there =] I'll use that as a basis to screw up bleeding my brakes if its alright? i'm sure i'll cock it up somehow!

ANYWAY, sammyboi, could you let me know what you needed to do the K11 hub and disc conversion etc. I'm assuming your doing discs and calipers? It's something i'm considering as i can stop my micra faster by jumping out, running after it and pulling it to a stop!*

If you could post some pics and stuff here and maybe even a list of all the stuff you needed, i'd be well grateful!

*Not a tested theory yet. Or ever hopefully.

OP
OP
sammyboi

sammyboi

MicraMachinePower...
Sorry, dd i put hubs? Lol. Ment discs and calipers! Bough the k11 march ones off of arnold! But a k11 hub conversion maybe in the works aswell!

Cheers for the info people! Will have a go on sunday morning if weather turns good!

robbluek10

Ex. Club Member
hi fella bleeding brakes are easy i can show u if u would like tomorrow when i come collect them parts i used to bleed brakes all the time as was a motorbike mechanic so i am good at it to lol

cheers rob

Micra 110

Site Supporter
One thing i found out is that it also helps if each Brake is bled in sequence.

primary
Front Right-hand Caliper
Left-rear wheel cylinder
Secondary
Front left-hand caliper
Right rear wheel cylinder

One thing i found out is that it also helps if each Brake is bled in sequence.

primary
Front Right-hand Caliper
Left-rear wheel cylinder
Secondary
Front left-hand caliper
Right rear wheel cylinder

So is that deffo the correct sequence for a k11 micra?

A guide written by micrabits on ebay says (though hes not specifically talking about the micra.)

"start at the O/S/R wheel then the N/S/R wheel, N/S/F and finish at the O/S/F. Many pub experts and workshop manuals suggest starting at the furthest away bleed screw, typically the N/S/R but having tried both methods I find my method easiest!".

I have bled motorcycle and scooter brakes before, and I know it can be a real ball ache, so I have always been interested in trying these easy speed bleeding nipples that have a one way valve in them. Does anyone have any experience of these? and what size nipples does the micra take?

According to Aussie50 in his youtube video of a front k11 brake pad change the nipple has a 7/16 imperial head, but what is the thread length and diameter as I would really like to try the easy bleed nipples.