• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Black ST restoration blog

First ST and my first blog but certainly not my first Micra,

Not expecting an easy build with this car, Ed stripped the engine bay and some of the interior around 2 years ago then another project and commitments took priority.
Wiring was a little mess with lots of wires for amps, speakers etc these have now all been removed along with seats and carpet, dash was removed by Ed previously.
Clifford alarm was removed so may need some repairs and alterations to the loom, will find out upon closer inspection.

Pictures

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Super duper light pedal version.
IMAG0067.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

IMAG0069.jpg

IMAG0070.jpg

The evil that are scotch locks, will be disposed of appropriately and wires repaired.
IMAG0071.jpg

IMAG0072.jpg

IMAG0073.jpg

Rear loom needs some minor attention.
IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0075.jpg

Colour will be changed shortly with a full respray, ideas needed.

actually pretty good, Chassis is solid through out. Lot to refit, i only removed all the seats, carpet and several thousand miles of speaker wires. lol
Less frightening than when she was picked up. lol

actually pretty good, Chassis is solid through out. Lot to refit, i only removed all the seats, carpet and several thousand miles of speaker wires. lol
Less frightening than when she was picked up. lol

What I meant was I didnt think it was missing all that:laugh:

I remember Ed saying to me the shell was a good one.I have a full st loom there if you need anything

deep NME blue would look awesome, tho i think it should be something that matches its sleeperness, so not a bright colour. really looking forward to seeing how this goes :D

next JAE?

I'd love to see this whipping about, as I live nearby!

You should bring it down to the car club I run when it's finished!
We meet in Dartford! :)

What a mess! glad you've taken it on though. Would be great to see that back on the road again!

What's wrong with scotch locks?

Not much to update as i have been rather busy last couple weeks.
Car really isn't as messy as it looks in the pictures, fairly easy for me to identify the different plugs and components even the vacuum diagram makes sense to me. lol

The plan so far, car will be painted a lime green with black tints, wheels and decals. Will all be left fairly stock on the outside, the bonnet scoop will be sprayed black and the rear wiper will be removed with holes shaved.
Will follow advise from others and uprating the front brakes (probably rear as well) with 4 pot calipers which not only are considerably lighter than pulsar brakes but will also allow me to stick 13" wheels on.

Front suspension dropped 50mm, rear 35mm, adjustable shock absorbers front and rear, uprated wishbone bushes, recondition steering rack ...etc
Reused components will be powder coated.
Also Rear strut/chassis brace and a undertray will be developed although more than likely once its on the road.

Ed owes me a ST engine and some other bits, will also have a number of ideas thrown at it but that is a little further down the road.

Will do some more work this weekend with some pictures but most likely just more parts being removed lol.

I'd love to see this whipping about, as I live nearby!
You should bring it down to the car club I run when it's finished!
We meet in Dartford! :)

Yeah why not, whats the name of the clu and where abouts do you meet? Might have to pop down in the Mazda and see your micra. I use to co run a club a few years ago in Darty, Modified Rapture.

Agree id solder too. This car was going be stripped and dipped when I had it hence why its in so many pieces. The shell is totally spot on. Even though its sat for years its still really really nice. I was going to just make it totally perfect and origional in every way but I know I will now simply never have the time to do so. :)

I have the tendency to burn my hands on soldering irons so scotch locks will do the job for me! Will look forward to seeing more updates

scotch locks are the worst thing ever invented, anyone caught using them should be shot on the spot, the amount off wiring problems ive fault found on cars (other peoples) that are caused by scotch locks is unbelievable. choc blocks are marginally better but still bad. soldering only on car wiring im afraid, only proper and most reliable way to do it.

should be a good blog this once it gets moving, keep the updates coming

Yeah why not, whats the name of the clu and where abouts do you meet? Might have to pop down in the Mazda and see your micra. I use to co run a club a few years ago in Darty, Modified Rapture.

It's called DevilTorque. Follow the link in my sig to check the site out!
I'll be in my Mazda too mate! :) Got an MX-3.
The Micra won't be making an appearance coz it's in a worse state than yours! Haha! It's nothing but a shell atm, ready for paint! (I must update my blog to let people know she's still alive!)

We meet up by the QE2 bridge! :)

Blue white and black have to be my faviourite colours on these K10 ST's, mind you most of the primary colours should look really good.

But boy does the k10 look apserlutely beaut.

Just seen this blog , man you have some work ahead of you best of look with it .

Think you'd be mad not to spray it the st green , there's a pic of a green one baz had some were on here .
Its the only green one iv ever seen . Rare.

That blue is awesome. Agree that Scotchlocks are the work of thedevil. Soldering and heatshrink is the only way to go (Y).

Not much of an update, car will be going in for paint in April and will be painted white.

Will update with pics once done and get the ball rolling.

Only stripped and rebuilt starter motor and wiper motors. Nothing exciting.

Engine bay de-rust stage 1, will be semi primed by Sunday then i will slowly move to the back of the car. Need to pick up more parts from Ed.

No pictures till painted :p

No pictures till painted isn't very nice is it.
Front end stitch welded, pictures only show a very small amount of the work. Strut towers have been filled smooth.

176851_10150146130115303_675035302_6985934_3245408_o.jpg

204313_10150146129810303_675035302_6985933_8208711_o.jpg

204978_10150145395290303_675035302_6980774_6977364_o.jpg

P8210031.jpg

175714_10150258229020303_675035302_7956465_3534423_o.jpg

Change of plans recently, mechanics and modifying will be done first over the winter then the car shall be painted and reassembled. Engine will be built for very high revving as opposed to a MA12 conversion but more on that closer to the time.

A few teaser shots of what I am currently working on.

P8310042.jpg

P8310044.jpg

P8310043.jpg

awesome! looking great!

what welder do you have? it looks like it does much better welds than my £50 ebay job

Tis a Draper unit, £120, reduced to clear by quite a lot. Very, very capable welder for the money... although practising on the tailgate (de-locking) left a bit of a mess I had improved considerably by the end of the first inner Arch.

Oh yeah, remember you frowned at me grinding down the welds on the towers, well if it helps... they look great and have been welded on the insides too. Sounds more solid via the "knock" test. lol

Tis a Draper unit, £120, reduced to clear by quite a lot. Very, very capable welder for the money... although practising on the tailgate (de-locking) left a bit of a mess I had improved considerably by the end of the first inner Arch.

Oh yeah, remember you frowned at me grinding down the welds on the towers, well if it helps... they look great and have been welded on the insides too. Sounds more solid via the "knock" test. lol

awesome i think i will have to pick one up, those are nice welds! mine packed up after i did all the welding on your old car, it wont feed the wire properly, it just jams up, and the gas must be leaking because a halfords bottle lasts about a minute...

not got anything against grinding the welds, just thought that they are great as they are, no need to make them thinner, but either way, a million times better than the crappy spot welds

awesome i think i will have to pick one up, those are nice welds! mine packed up after i did all the welding on your old car, it wont feed the wire properly, it just jams up, and the gas must be leaking because a halfords bottle lasts about a minute...

not got anything against grinding the welds, just thought that they are great as they are, no need to make them thinner, but either way, a million times better than the crappy spot welds

i think machisans spot welds are quite good although i do prefer stitch welds. i think when i get a decent mig im gonna do my whole k10 then cage it and brace it.

how long do the halfords bottles normally last?

May have paid more for it, can't honestly remember much apart from it was 50% off on Amazon. lol

The welds are strong and well penetrated, the tops of the strut towers (Also welded from the inside) have been ground down flat and filled with body filler. Inner wings and Wishbone mountings have also been welded. Was very time consuming and would have been easier if the car had been dipped first but meh.

Rear brake setup:
Rear K11 discs with Golf MK2 rear calipers and some custom bracketing. The suspension strut will affect how well it works but I think I will have success and I am getting the calipers for free... recons from work ;)

Will also have Caterham 4 pots on the front once I have got a bit further with the rears.

Not in the photos, the Tar insulation from the floor pan has been entirely removed fron to back, will get weights this weekend.

i think machisans spot welds are quite good although i do prefer stitch welds. i think when i get a decent mig im gonna do my whole k10 then cage it and brace it.

how long do the halfords bottles normally last?

the spot welds work, but they leave so much metal that is just not attached, a real weld is always better its just not efficient for a machine to do

and the halfords bottles never last long enough

May have paid more for it, can't honestly remember much apart from it was 50% off on Amazon. lol

The welds are strong and well penetrated, the tops of the strut towers (Also welded from the inside) have been ground down flat and filled with body filler. Inner wings and Wishbone mountings have also been welded. Was very time consuming and would have been easier if the car had been dipped first but meh.

Rear brake setup:
Rear K11 discs with Golf MK2 rear calipers and some custom bracketing. The suspension strut will affect how well it works but I think I will have success and I am getting the calipers for free... recons from work ;)

Will also have Caterham 4 pots on the front once I have got a bit further with the rears.

Not in the photos, the Tar insulation from the floor pan has been entirely removed fron to back, will get weights this weekend.

It is a Mig though is it? brake setup sounds cool

Just sourcing a set of Coil overs, the Apexis are out of budget which stands at £700 all in, any recommendations or previous experience?

Just don't mention polos, golfs or corsas. lol

I got all excitied when I saw a post on here from you, thought it was going to be a big update :laugh:. Hope all is going well with the ST, and good luck with anything planned. I'm sure you'll find a decent set of coilies at the right price (Y). I've heard that you can pick up a cheap set of Cors......................................:laugh::p

I got all excitied when I saw a post on here from you, thought it was going to be a big update :laugh:. Hope all is going well with the ST, and good luck with anything planned. I'm sure you'll find a decent set of coilies at the right price (Y). I've heard that you can pick up a cheap set of Cors......................................:laugh::p

Nothing big yet, just awaiting rear callipers, should be ordering front 4 pots this week and suspension... should be able to spend quite a bit before crimbo, money to get it painted has been sitting in the bank since I first purchased it, just waiting for the right time and getting the chassis near perfect and well protected.

Back