Black Box Insurance

Just seen the confused.com "black box" insurance advert, which got me thinking

So as you do I decided to get a quote and wow it is a hell of a lot cheaper with one of these boxes, has anyone on here have or know of anyone using this scheme?

Apart from the obvious what's the pros and cons?

Any information is greatly appreciated :D

I don't know anyone that has, but am also interested in finding out more about these "black boxes"
although my insurance is not that bad if it could be cheaper because i'm a good driver instead of just...I'm a girl with 7 years NCD...would be interesting to see ^_^

ETA: http://www.confused.com/gooddrivers

i guess they,ll be compulsory within a few years :( inbuilt satnav and accelerometer will show if you,re running 5hp more than stock ! better make hay while the sun shines lol :p

OKay so i just got quotes clicking "yes" to the device question and then "no"

the only difference between the lists (16 won't provide quotes changed to 17) Nissan won't insure me if i say no, what are the odds? LOL

seems as though i have all the discount i'm gonna get *shrugs*
very handy for someone who is a new driver or has little or no NCD but i assume the extra saving is subject to a minimum premium :p (Ie: higher than the £325 I'm paying)

After reading more on it, it would be useless for me.

You get charged more between 11pm and 6am and during peak times, that would be me screwed going to work at 11pm and leaving at 8:30 (peak time)

Although it made a massive difference for having my partner on, she's had 2 accidents in 2 years. For me by myself it's not much difference

I looked into blackbox insurance back when I had my K11, just before I got it actually I think, and I tried getting a quote from a few companies that I don't remember the name of. All of them told me the K11 was too old to install a black box into.

Personally, I really loathe the idea of blackbox insurance. One of the advantages of having a car is that I can go anywhere I like whenever I like, unlike when I had to use busses, and they went to a place vaugely near where I wanted once an hour between 6am and 8pm weekdays, on the off chance that the bus driver would stop or actually even turn up. With my car I can go where I want to go to, when I want to go there, and charging me extra for doing so at certain hours of the day is just madness.

The other thing is, I like everyone else has days where you slip a few miles an hour over the speedlimit, Would I get continuously ripped to shreds over every little cock up? Knowing how much Insurance companies like taking money off people, I'd say probably so.

Thankfully, this year my insurance is looking like it might dip under a four figure sum for the first time since I passed my test when I renew in december. It's still an eff'in joke though.

I've got one, knocked a g off my insurance quotes for the year, total £1150 annual payment.
Now however, have gone over the milage allowance for the year (in 6 motnhs) by 4000 miles total cost £600,
total cost for years insurance with admiral on multi-car with partners car, £790 for mine, £500 for hers.
So, in the long run it ended up alot more expencive, added to that the only mods they'll allow is non-standard alloys meant that I quite quickly changed the insurance, once I was ready to get everything fitted (still sorting out a few issues)
Needless to say, they didnt like my driving, never got bonus miles, primarily for driving between 10pm - 6am and in rush hour both morning and evening, and for driving at a speed exceeding the speed limit up to 10mph pretty much constantly,
Good parts; if your car gets stolen, they will find it.
Police tend to leave you alone once it comes up you've got a tracker fitted and stop tailgating you :p
erm....... thats about it lol!

i looked it up too, it seems like a complete pain in the ass! no good for the early k11's i dont know about the newer post 2000 models

however arent aloud to do track days, or any sort of event like that, as they will know, however there are obviously ways around it, for instance work out what makes it tick and connect to to a small battery and chuck it in the boot to go shops or something then any other time leave it at home....

quite screwed if you do crash but hey ho!

We trialled loads at work (I work for an insurance company). They aren't compatible with some cars though but can't remember why. There's no way one is going in my cars though.
however arent aloud to do track days, or any sort of event like that, as they will know, however there are obviously ways around it

I think it just says you are not covered for the use on track days etc, but doesn't stop you doing them. Just means they won't pay out if you're on the track when you spin off again ;)

We trialled loads at work (I work for an insurance company). They aren't compatible with some cars though but can't remember why. There's no way one is going in my cars though.

I think it just says you are not covered for the use on track days etc, but doesn't stop you doing them. Just means they won't pay out if you're on the track when you spin off again ;)

it had nothing to do with me! its the cheap tyres and the tendancy for the ae92 to kick out the rear end, it does it all the time when i push it lol

I've got a black box fitted in my k11. In with Ingenie. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and there is no restriction in driving times. They allow you to dive any time of the day and let you have unlimited mileage. There is even an application for our smart phone and you can log on to see how you are driving. It monitors your speed acceleration and braking an is fitted behind the speedo. The best thing is if you manage to dive safety they will decrease your insurance every 3 months. When you get a quote it tells you how much it is and how much it could be with safe driving. Hope this helps let me know of you want to know any more information.

I've got a black box fitted in my k11. In with Ingenie. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and there is no restriction in driving times. They allow you to dive any time of the day and let you have unlimited mileage. There is even an application for our smart phone and you can log on to see how you are driving. It monitors your speed acceleration and braking an is fitted behind the speedo. The best thing is if you manage to dive safety they will decrease your insurance every 3 months. When you get a quote it tells you how much it is and how much it could be with safe driving. Hope this helps let me know of you want to know any more information.

Sounds interesting... Who are you insured with?

I also saw the confused ad and it got me thinking too, but I arrived at the conclusion that it'd prob do more harm than good and I'm an old man whn it comes to driving!

Out of interest, how long have you been driving Damian? I noticed you're a bus driver, surely that'd bring your insurance down quite a bit, being a professional driver and such?

I'm insured with a group called Ingenie. They've been good so far and havnt had any problems. I've been driving since January do not very long but I've been with this insurance for about 3 months now. I'm only just starting my job this week as a bus driver so havnt had chance to check insurance. But like you said it should go down as I am driving professionally.

I think these boxes are a really good idea though because I'm paying 1700 for a year with the box and without it when I checked they wanted 2500 which is ridiculous. I'll take a look at insurance with my new job and with a bit of luck I can get it cheaper.

Sorry about the spelling in the last post iPhone autocorrect.

Don't be fooled into believing that just because you drive for a living you'll get cheaper insurance, the way the insurance company will see it, because your on the road for such a long time you are more likely to have an accident, no less. Why do you think they ask your annual milage when you get a quote?

Don't be fooled into believing that just because you drive for a living you'll get cheaper insurance, the way the insurance company will see it, because your on the road for such a long time you are more likely to have an accident, no less. Why do you think they ask your annual milage when you get a quote?

Good call...

ye thats a really good point i didnt think of that. im going to be tired from working driving all day and then to be driving again. I thought it like if you drive for a living your going to be safer driving so this would get you cheaper insurance

I queries this when I took my policy out and they said that going from just 3000 to 5000 miles a year would put my premium up £300! Crazy.

I had one of these boxes in a previous car on the Aviva Pay as you Drive insurance which sadly is no more. I t was much cheaper than standard insurance, and now that Aviva no longer have this scheme, they allowed me to keep the box and use it as a sat nav. I had it removed from my previous car last wek and it's going into my Micra this week.

Just seen the confused.com "black box" insurance advert, which got me thinking

So as you do I decided to get a quote and wow it is a hell of a lot cheaper with one of these boxes, has anyone on here have or know of anyone using this scheme?

Apart from the obvious what's the pros and cons?

Any information is greatly appreciated :D

Well you can get lots of good information about black box insurance here. I read it and got the good schemes here.

You dont need any silly scheme these days as I left aviva last week because they wanted to charge me £780 FC for my primera gtle!!! I read in the paper that new quotes are alot cheaper then staying with the same company ......now im with chaucer direct with everything included like courtesy car e.c.t....FC= £290.....yup dirt cheap and a £200 excess

Back