Binding rear brakes, handbrake sticking on

Binding rear brakes, handbrake sticking on, on both rear wheels.

Any suggestions on what to check, how to fix, without taking rear brakes completely apart & taking off brake shoes ??

Can I get brake copper grease into relevant places under brake shoes, without taking them off, to get everything moving smoothly ??

Have checked handbrake cable under the car, which needed lubrication.

I think once handbrake is released, the springs in the brake drums should pull brake shoes away from the brake drums.

Ps: I have changed brake shoes years ago, but want to avoid fiddly jobs if possible.

i would also like to know about this as one of my rear brakes is sticking. I'm guessing its about time to replaces the shoes and drums but don't want to do all that work if its something to do with the handbrake. doubt it tho cause its only one side sticking when the car is left stationary for a while, esp after it has been raining then dried up or when its been a really hot day.

I'd say cable issues too if its both sides. Get the car up on stands and lubricate (wd40 or similar) the hand brake parts near the fuel tank and where else you think it needs it, then try and work it on and off.

The rear brakes & handbrake cable haven't been checked or lubricated for years.

When I release the handbrake, the Equaliser Lever under the car doesn't seem to move back.

My road is on slight hill.
I operated & released handbrake.

Car did not roll forward, even though handbrake released.

Looked under car, the Equaliser Lever, which connects to the rear brakes, was still in same position. (It seems quite stiff, I've lubricated it.)

As soon as I moved this Lever a little, the car started to roll forward.

But then I don't know if it has to move back much if at all, as with handbrake on, handbrake cable is taught, when handbrake is released it doesn't have to be taught and the springs in drums will pull shoes away from drums.

Are springs part of handbrake cable next to the Adjuster, which is adjacent to Equaliser Lever ??

Should these springs pull Equaliser Lever back ??
Should Equaliser Lever move reasonable amount or oinly a fraction when handbrake is released ??

Ps:
Not sure how this Equaliiser Lever works, as it seems to pull cable on Near Side & push a rod on Off Side.

I'd say cable issues too if its both sides. Get the car up on stands and lubricate (wd40 or similar) the hand brake parts near the fuel tank and where else you think it needs it, then try and work it on and off.
The handbrake cable & rod are only visible under centre of car.

Under centre of car they go into tubes which go to the rear wheels, so cable isn't visible near fuel tank.

Back