Biggest size battery in a K11?

-SS-

Ex. Club Member
Does anybody know what is the biggest size battery that will fit into the tray of a K11? I'm at work, and car is miles away so cannot measure etc. and I was having a look at some batts, want to upgrade the standard, tiny battery on the car.

Also, what is the standard battery in terms of output? I have a 2002 1.0 auto.

:)

May i ask why you want to upgrade? A bigger battery will weigh more and the standard battery should be all you need. are you sure your battery isnt just on the way out and you need new one?

I would like a bigger batt as I plan to upgrade the stereo and run two amplifiers, both power hungry class A/B amps. Without any additional equipment, just with lights and fogs on full and heater on max, the alternator kicks in. With a bigger battery that probably won't happen - it doesn't on other cars we have where batts have been upgraded.

I'm just after size of battery tray. :)

Isn't the battery only used to start the car then the alternator takes over straight away?

sort of lol :grinning:
the k11,s have a tall narrow 054 battery, i replaced mine with a 063 common shape one (read cheaper) which is too wide for the tray, so any upgrade wont fit the tray properly

For ICE you will need a higher ampage alternator aswell, otherwise you will get more battery drain then charging and your amp may not give you sufficiant output and lights will dimm as the amp draws power e.t.c. ..... am sure ather nissan alternators will fit but from which car and also do a research on their amp rating aswell..

J

I've just ordered a new battery for my k11 facelift (2001), the cars been standing for a year with other things taking up my time so I'm just getting back around to sorting everything out with it. I left the existing battery charging last night for 12 hours but the recharger didn't go down to 0 and was stuck at 1 for the final couple of hours making a constant buzzing noise so I thought I'd best buy a new one (The instructions says it's a faulty battery when it never reaches 0). I'm not sure if this battery that was in it was the correct type though as someone else had swapped it previous to me so I thought I'd better ask here to make sure. It was a type 048 battery so I've ordered a Lucas Premium 053/048 battery for £36. Is that the correct type for my k11? (or I should say..) will that be ok to use in my k11?

Never believed in big capacitors myself. The amps can only run on amperage that's continually proved ie by the alternator. A cap may be good for the first few beats then the cap will be exhausted and the current will just pass through it on the way to the amp's. The cap will then hog amperage as it recharges next time you start the system depriving the amp's of amperage.

Resurrecting an old thread... I'm gonna measure the tray tonight, but if anyone knows the size that would be great!

I'm looking at fitting a larger battery to run spotlights at night with the engine off... yes, I should fit a second battery and a split charge system, but that's a pain in the rear & a lot more weight...

Diesel battery option? Usually diesels run bigger batteries, I fitted one to my MGZR and it just fits the tray, and it a much bigger capacity.

You're a legend, you know that right?

I somehow forgot about the diesel option entirely (after fitting pretty much the entire suspension from a diesel :p )

Now just need to find out what battery the diesel had, time to call ecp (again :p they must hate me by now)

Just to chip-in, I did this to our Micra last year - the original battery gave up and I had a spare Diesel battery to hand.
I cut the tray to allow a snug fit and made a new strap to hold it in though, but as it's not for ragging about (wifes car)
it made zero difference to handling (non P/S, so these things matter) or fuel econ.

I'll get pics if needed - but in a nutshell, it's a cut or 2 with a hacksaw or grinder and a hammer to flatten it.

Battery from Astra Mk5 (G), but any with the correct post arrangement is fine.

Bringing that back up (nope, still not sorted)

The bosch S5 004 (61 400 060) seems to be perfect, 242x175x175mm, and is 61Ah rated... where's the catch?

Bringing that back up (nope, still not sorted)

The bosch S5 004 (61 400 060) seems to be perfect, 242x175x175mm, and is 61Ah rated... where's the catch?
Aka 075.
30mm wider than stock - needs tray modification for fuse bank to clear.

Edit: The one I've fitted 'is' 075.
So yes, to fit:

- Rear edge of tray, cut the corners and hammer flat, to allow battery width.
- Fuse bank side, the bolt hole needs cutting/twisting to allow battery length.
- Flat steel cut/drilled to make new strap. Keep same bolts.

Last edited:
Matt,
thanks for the offer, but I really want to fit a brand new (bosch) battery in this case.

Given that what it'll go through, I'm trying to keep anything I change with new parts. (that made no sense grammatically.. hey, it's late and I'm still working. )

Batteries and alternator size are chosen by using a computer program that factors in the electrical load of the vehicle and the usage.
Called 'load balance'
Diesels and cars for scandanavia (due to more use of lights heater screen etc.) had bigger batteries, but also bigger alternators to keep them charged.
Putting a bigger battery in without changing the alternator to match is not good as with a heavy electrical load the battery will not get fully charged.
The best scenario for lead acid batteries is a cycle of charge discharge.
Or kept fully charged.
Bad for a battery to be constantly at 1/2 or 3/4 charge.

Back