biggest engine cc?

bombz4

Ex. Club Member
random question but what is the largest engine? internal combustion, petrol or diesel (not including GTE's)?

cheers for the reply but no i meant in general any car but the largest capacity, i found a 10.4 litre honourable mention on wilkipedia

any engine really but largest car too! one of my mates asked me thinking id know so thought id ask you guys seen as one of you usually know!

thas huge!

JamieGti said:
Jay Leno has a 29500cc engined car... it's only 900hp (only :p)

-Jamie

It's also a WW2 Bomber engine.

900HP from 1940's isn't bad.

There were a few cars with engines near 13.5 litres way back in the 1930's from Yankville.

You can buy crate motors that range around the 11-12 litre mark.

I work on vehicles everyday and drive them that are 12.6 litre...DAF trucks.

how about this one, its a marine engine,

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:
Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)
Length: 89 feet
Height: 44 feet
Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm
Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm
View attachment 5600 BIG big end shells,

View attachment 5601A huge crank if ever I've seen one,

View attachment 5602The block and cylinder liners,

View attachment 5603A con rod with a piston on top,

View attachment 5604And finally the complete engine.

The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today. The Aioi Works of Japan's Diesel United, Ltd built the first engines and is where some of these pictures were taken.
It is available in 6 through 14 cylinder versions, all are inline engines. These engines were designed primarily for very large container ships. Ship owners like a single engine/single propeller design and the new generation of larger container ships needed a bigger engine to propel them.

The cylinder bore is just under 38" and the stroke is just over 98". Each cylinder displaces 111,143 cubic inches (1820 liters) and produces 7780 horsepower. Total displacement comes out to 1,556,002 cubic inches (25,480 liters) for the fourteen cylinder version.

i posted the engine that sonic has a whole ago.. thats currently the boggest i think.. internal combustion engine anything bigger i think your looking at gas turbines ect..

I meant in production car use! :p

Lots of race cars had it implimented before production cars but that's normally what happens is it not? Bugati seem to lead the way on the production car range, they're always WAY ahead of the competition... that much ahead that they loose money :p

So yea, back on topic: It took me a while to get in contact but I've drove my uncles hot rod, it's a chevy big block 6litre... that's pretty big for it not being a truck! :p

-Jamie

Lots of race cars had it implimented before production cars but that's normally what happens is it not? Bugati seem to lead the way on the production car range, they're always WAY ahead of the competition... that much ahead that they loose money :p

So yea, back on topic: It took me a while to get in contact but I've drove my uncles hot rod, it's a chevy big block 6litre... that's pretty big for it not being a truck! :p

-Jamie

JamieGti said:

-Jamie

Since when did Chevy do a 6 litre big block.

I thought the smallest big block they did was the 396, which is approx. 6.5 litre.

You sure it's not a bored small block, perhaps a 350?

Any one here read practicle performance car mag? :

Yes, that’s 27-litres, not 2.7-litres as the DVLA keep writing on the registration document of Charlie Broomfield’s Rover SD1. Charlie’s fitted a 27-litre V12 Meteor engine. The Meteor’s a non-supercharged version of the famous Merlin V12 that powered Spitfires to victory in the Battle of Britain. Charlie didn’t think he’d need a supercharger so went for the tank version of the engine.He fitted it in an SD1 simply because he needed a car with a deep bulkhead – as you can see, the engine’s quite big.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/staffcardetail.asp?id=8

wonderfull!!!!

Since when did Chevy do a 6 litre big block.

I thought the smallest big block they did was the 396, which is approx. 6.5 litre.

I wasn't being specific! :)
It's small for being called a "big block" (looks wise that is)
I mean... it fits in a ford pop!

-J

sonic said:
The Wartsila-Sulzer RTA96-C turbocharged two-stroke diesel engine is the most powerful and most efficient prime-mover in the world today.
BTW, it's Wärtsilä, designed (and made?) in Finland :)

The biggest car I've drove is Scania R560 truck, 16 liter V8 and 560bhp/2700 Nm :p It's pretty nice :grinning: And they even pay me to drive it for work...

Back