bigger front brakes for my 1.0l

Hi,
is it possible to put bigger front brakes on my micra, eg from say a primera or an almera?
ive just built a f1000micra and without spending big money want better brakes.
im also considdering pushing the boat out and getting rear discs.
cheers.
Joe

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
All of them should, to be safe, go for those off a 1996ish era - they will fit behind 13" wheels too

Swiper

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
any 1.4/1.6 (they are the same) sunny or almera will fit. with 1mm washers as mentioned above.

Napster

And the Wide Green Bug
that is correct:), so four 1mm washers in total. one for each bolt.

im also interested in doing this!!!

right call me blond if you want to but this quote:

"so i take it the washers go where the pad carrier mounts to the hub?"

and "Swiper" your one above........

can someone try explaining those simply please? or is that as simple as it gets?

is "4 washers = 2 for each brake" or "8 for both sides"
thanks

Broony

Ex. Club Member
Club Member
well the calipers need spacing by 1mm, each caliper has two bolts there for 4 washers are needed at 1mm in size:) i.e. 2 washers for left caliper and 2 for right caliper:grinning:

Alienfish360

Awesome Dawson
compare the weight difference between pulsar brakes and CG brakes. That's a lot of extra weight to be turning on the wheels and then introduce the extra weight of the calipers too, especially on a CG10.

It's not really recommended to uprate the front brakes and leaving the back as it can affect the bias, also, since you can lock your wheels with standard brakes, you won't gain any extra braking performance with bigger disks, you'll just have to move the pedal a smaller distance before they have the same affect.

Maybe just uprated discs and pads to stop fade, but I wouldn't go bigger.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
I would suggest pads on a 1.0, there's no point in going bigger with the power really. Attached is a pic comparison between standard brakes and GTI-R's and there is a big increase in weight, which effects acceleration some and also loads up the suspension more due to the extra unsprung weight of the disc and caliper, however if you're going to fling it around a track like I do, they're a godsend ;)

Attachments

• beforeafter2.jpg
    beforeafter2.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 241

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Spill a bit of fluid changing them did you Dave?

The larger disks are off the NX (on the right in the pics) I did/do a lot of motorway miles and really noticed a decrease in brake fade, never had any prob's with locking the brakes up, you can adjust the balance wit the screw at the rear of the car.

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Hehe, yeah I did.

I have the rear bias valve completely disconnected.

Spill a bit of fluid changing them did you Dave?

The larger disks are off the NX (on the right in the pics) I did/do a lot of motorway miles and really noticed a decrease in brake fade, never had any prob's with locking the brakes up, you can adjust the balance wit the screw at the rear of the car.

Craig

Unofficial Member (Gold)
Club Member
Aye, I'm just gonna rip mine out and replace with cockpit adjustable one when I get my disks on....

[QUOTE
It's not really recommended to uprate the front brakes and leaving the back as it can affect the bias, also, since you can lock your wheels with standard brakes, you won't gain any extra braking performance with bigger disks, you'll just have to move the pedal a smaller distance before they have the same affect.

Maybe just uprated discs and pads to stop fade, but I wouldn't go bigger.[/QUOTE]

Not true, you only lock up when you dont have grip, so if you have grip you can brake harder, the bigger the braking effort the better you will stop as long as you have grip. therefor bigger vented discs should improve braking as the wont fade as fast and bigger braking surface. :k11motors