Best way to tape wheels for painting?

Will

Ex. Club Member
Evening folks, Im begining the process of painting my steelies, and in my mind using masking tape to cover the lip was a flawless plan that would take between 11 and 14 seconds.
However, getting the tape to go into something that resembles a circle, which then stays there, is a right #######/impossible :laugh:
Any ideas?

This is the look im going for
micraangleblackchrome2.jpg

You on about masking the steel wheel or masking the tyre? Masking the tyre is easy just need patience but if your on about seperating the chrome and black:
Img_0130-1.jpg

then get some thicker masking tape and tape up the inside rather than trying to run tape around the outside rim bit (if that makes any sense lol). Its a thicker painted area but looks just as if not more awesome. (Y)

Brush a nice layer of of washing up liquid, or something thicker like swarfega over the tyre, paint, leave to dry, hose off. Just like the vaseline but easier to wash off afterwards.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Turns out my step dad knows someone who used to paint cars etc, so he offered to do it for me.
Only done the spare so far, needs one more coat and it should be done. Then I'll swap each wheel over and eventually have five matching ones...

Attachments

• SP_A0270.jpg
    SP_A0270.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 459
Back