Beeping noise after turning off ignition

My 1998 Micra started beeping at me today after a good run in the cold. It starts beeping about twice a second after the engine is turned off and it's been going for a good few hours now. The beeping stops if the key is in the ignition and is turned a couple of stops forward. It sounds like the beeping is coming from the centre of the dash.

Does anyone have any idea why this has happened? The only thing I can think of that may be related is that I changed the battery last year and the radio locked itself. As I didn't have the original code, I just left it, so it's been awaiting a code input for a long while. This could be a complete red herring though!

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give, as this is driving me to distraction!

Thanks for responding, guys. The radio is the original unit, and I haven't touched it in months :(

Do you know the best way to figure out what the beeping is actually for? Is there a way I can test it by a process of elimination? Maybe by removing fuses or something? I'm going to have to wait until next week before I can take it to a garage, so any help would be gratefully received.

give us some more details about the car iteself,

for example if it is a 1.0l base model old car then it has no beeping things in it what so ever, so it would be coming from something aftermarket like an alarm

where as if it is a last generation k11 then it may be a short in the headlight loom making it beep or something like that,

anyway all factory fitted beeping things are in the driver's footwell, get your head in there and listen for it, see if you can pin point it. if you find a box that it is coming from it will probably say on it, what it is for

Thanks, NeX. It's a 1998 (R-reg) Micra GX, 1275 CC. No after market modifications.

I can't see any boxes in or around the footwell on either side, but I'll do another check tomorrow when it's light...and hopefully a bit warmer!

Thanks, NeX. It's a 1998 (R-reg) Micra GX, 1275 CC. No after market modifications.

I can't see any boxes in or around the footwell on either side, but I'll do another check tomorrow when it's light...and hopefully a bit warmer!

i have the same car, dark red by any chance?

the beeping unit is a little yellow box, its attached to the back of the little shelf that sits just under the steering wheel. there are two screws to take out that shelf and you will find it plugged into the back.

if that is what is making the beeping noise then it is something to do with the headlights being on and the door being open.

if it is not that then i have no idea what it could be, it would have to be something aftermarket, maybe someone fitted an alarm that you don't know about?

NeX, you're dead on! I unplugged the mini yellow box and that's sorted it. I don't know why it's started to beep even when the lights are off or the door closed, but at least I know where else to look now to find out the root cause.

Many, many thanks! (Y)

Oh, and, yes, my Micra's is red. Are you psychic too? :)

NeX, you're dead on! I unplugged the mini yellow box and that's sorted it. I don't know why it's started to beep even when the lights are off or the door closed, but at least I know where else to look now to find out the root cause.

Many, many thanks! (Y)

Oh, and, yes, my Micra's is red. Are you psychic too? :)

cool glad you found the beeping ;)

as far as i know... actually is yours an auto?

anyway that beeping is made when you have a 12v+ feed from the lights, and a Ground feed from the door switch, the door must be open and the lights on for it to beep. so if you want to test it, you could try unplugging the door switch (bottom left of the door, one philips screw) and see if it still beeps. if it does then its a ground leak, if it stops then its a 12v+ leak. but really it shouldn't be beeping unless you have both the lights on and the door open...

haha not psychic, i just know my micras ;) a lot of the Gx micras were red,

Back