• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Battery Drain

Hello,

I just purchased my first Nissan. Unfortunately, the new battery keeps draining.

It's been tested and the battery is in good health.

I've had a trickle charger on it till it's full.

But now it's dead again. (3 days later)

There's nothing on in the car, except immobilizer. Can't see anything that could be draining it.

The radio doesn't come on unless the ignition is on. Is that unusual? Could something be going on there?

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you find an fix?

Thanks.

Hello,

I just purchased my first Nissan. Unfortunately, the new battery keeps draining.

It's been tested and the battery is in good health.

I've had a trickle charger on it till it's full.

But now it's dead again. (3 days later)

There's nothing on in the car, except immobilizer. Can't see anything that could be draining it.

The radio doesn't come on unless the ignition is on. Is that unusual? Could something be going on there?

Has anyone else experienced this? Did you find an fix?

Thanks.
Well the radio isn't supposed to come on till the key is in either the ignition on, engine running or in the accessory position, first click when turning the key. Numerous things might be causing the drain but the first thing to check is the light in the boot, which if remaining on with the tailgate closed, would probably drain the battery in 3 days.......

Thats how it should be or else it would be a constant battery drain.

If the battery has been checked then my three guesses would be an excessive parasitic drain (something is drawing power that shouldn't be), bad charging loop or possibly a defective alternator.

As John said, start by checking lights.

Thanks for the replies.

Theres no lights on when I leave the car, I've looked round all of them.

I'm hoping it's a drain that I can find myself with a multimeter. Fingers crossed. Is there anything that it typically is?

If it's an alternator issue, would there be other symptoms. What should I look for?

Thanks for the replies.

I'm hoping it's a drain that I can find myself with a multimeter. Fingers crossed. Is there anything that it typically is?

If it's an alternator issue, would there be other symptoms. What should I look for?
But have you checked that the light in the boot goes out with the tailgate closed and the ignition off? Easily done by crawling into the back seat and lifting the parcel shelf to see.......

Thanks for the replies.

I'm assuming you've checked all dash lights and signs of unusual noises so for alternator issues it would either be down to it not charging or under charging imo.

No charge can result from a blown fuse, a wire break, a slack belt or a damaged diode on the alternator.

An alternator thats under charging is generally down to a slack belt or poor connection.

An overloaded alternator is scrap and would need replaced in either of these instances.

Squeezing a sprog into the glove box or boot may not be advisable?

Removing the lamps ( bulbs) from the boot & glove box is the surest way of confirming that they are not remaining permanently or intermittently illuminated.

Having just purchased the vehicle, the dealer is legally liable to diagnose & repair any pre-existing & subsequent faults.

Happy fault finding (y)

Hi there.

I have the same issue. It's a 2003 Nissan micra (K12). Parked up on Friday and by Monday the battery is dead. The battery is new, so nothing wrong there. I gave it to Nissan, who couldn't discover the drain after 4 days and gave me the car back. I've just had it in with an auto-electrician over the weekend. He has replaced the ignition switch, but I'm quite dubious the drain has been fixed. It is a complete pita! Good luck finding it. :)

Hi there.

I have the same issue. It's a 2003 Nissan micra (K12). Parked up on Friday and by Monday the battery is dead. The battery is new, so nothing wrong there. I gave it to Nissan, who couldn't discover the drain after 4 days and gave me the car back. I've just had it in with an auto-electrician over the weekend. He has replaced the ignition switch, but I'm quite dubious the drain has been fixed. It is a complete pita! Good luck finding it. :)
Micra k12 1.2 - Micra battery drain problem

This issue is one of the many common problems with the K12 Micra.

This one often relates to the BCM (Body Control Module) & its interaction with the immobiliser & ECU.

The auto electrician would most likely have tested for this?

Should the issue recur, remove immobiliser fuse,( possibly No 7 ) to isolate it when parked up.

Make certain to remove only the correct fuse, (refer to Haynes workshop manual). Removing the wrong fuse risks isolating radio/cd unintentionally & losing its security code.

References:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/121597/micra-k12-1-2--

https://www.google.com/search?q=Battery+Drain;+K12+Micra&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b

Good will hunting. (y)