Battery checking

pjg1979

THIS IS MY BOOMSTICK!
Battery Check

Usually when checking the battery some signs of it being a dud is:

a) Bulges on the sides where car is trying to charge it but some of the plates inside have sulphated which can create heat which will distort the battery sides.

b) Checking the water level is correct.

c) Signs of sulphation (Crystalization) on the exterior of the battery.

:glance: Have you fully charged the battery with a charger, best charger I've used is a RSC8 which you can purchased from most motor stores like Halfords, MotorWorld e.t.c.

fwn A normal Voltmeter can only tell how many volts are in the battery, 13.2v is nominal voltage max these days is 14v. But usually you can have 13 volts but no Cold Cranking Amps to get your engine turning over.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
A battery will hold it's charge while the engine is running, when stored batteries hold their charge for around 3 months if disconnected. If you are getting less than a week your battery is dead.

OP
OP
goldstar0011

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
olly - so you suggest I disconnect battery for a week? :D

pjg - no crystalisation, I will check the water levels at weekend, don't properly undertsna dyour first point.

Cheers so far

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Disconnect it for a week, if it is still charged it means there is a drain somewhere on your car that is killing the battery.

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
When mine went wrong, i jumped it. Drove around and turned it off. Went to start the car and nothing. Didnt charge / wouldn't hold charge so pretty good way to tell it was nackered.

Retepetsir

King of Subsonic
With the engine just turned off, measure the voltage accross the terminals with a multimeter (set to DC voltage). Then wait a few hours and do it again. Post up here with the 2 voltage readings.

ollyc98

Ex. Club Member
Oh umm, cut out the footwell and Flintstone it.
Or get a new battery, if it happens again there is a drain somewhere.