battery cable help need

i need to move my battery to the boot what size cable do i need (not what length) i need to know the gauge if anybody can help

thanks i know how to move it just need to know what gauge wire nissan use
Try reading the link right to the end, you will find the information that you need.............:rolleyes:
Obviously the longer run of cable will require a larger gauge of wire, than currently used by Nissan, to stop volt drop, when operating the starter motor. If I were doing the position change I would probably go for the wire size that is suggested in the link for 198 Amp rating, too big is far better than too small.....

Last edited:
thank you, i take it jump leads that are rated 200amp or ok to be used
If they are good quality, multi stranded copper (NOT aluminium!), with the conductor (less insulation) between 9 and 10mm dia then probably OK, but most jump leads that I have seen, despite quoted amperage spec, are not as described above. Also I suspect that you are going to need in excess of 4 metres to get the correct run from front to back. The cable that I would use (010602) is sold HERE for about £5 a metre...

Last edited:
you are a gent
Before you commit to buying cable, work out the run that you intend to do, keeping the cable well shielded from potential scrape damage and clear of the exhaust etc, do a temporary, attached run using clothes line or similar, then remove and measure the length. Obviously you are only going to have route the positive cable as the negative can be an earth point local to the repositioned battery.

Before you commit to buying cable, work out the run that you intend to do, keeping the cable well shielded from potential scrape damage and clear of the exhaust etc, do a temporary, attached run using clothes line or similar, then remove and measure the length. Obviously you are only going to have route the positive cable as the negative can be an earth point local to the repositioned battery.

yeah cheers the battery is going where the back seat is ie behind the passenger bolted down ,thanks for your help

yeah cheers the battery is going where the back seat is ie behind the passenger bolted down ,thanks for your help
Had assumed that you were putting it in the boot. If inside the car then to comply with any track/scrutineering requirements I would think that you would need to
a) bolt it down solidly and
b) house it in a plastic battery box that would contain any spilt acid in event of an inversion......

Back