Basic 1.0 model 2005 - fuel filler cap won't open

For some completely inexplicble reason I couldn't get the plastic lever under the drivers side dash to open the filler cap. How best to proceed from this point on? If I take the drivers side rear wheel arch cover off will that help? I think it's going to be tricky to try and grab the wire under the dash behind the level and yank it. Is it worth just trying to force the filler lid (obviously taking care to avoid damaging the paint work) - I was on empty when I stopped at the petrol station and managed to get home but I may not have enough in to make it to the nearest petrol station if I can fix the problem. I couldn't find any cases of other people having the same problem. Has the wire stretched, come unhooked somewhere or is it perhaps just jammed up?

cheers
Neil

Oh Hi btw - I'm new. I like my micra (wife's actually) but I drive it now she works further away from home than me. Previously I had one of the first Micras and I had a Primera for 9 years which was brilliant.

ELLO THERE, CABLES SIEZING ARE VERY COMMON. BIT OF A BALL ACHE TO FIT. YOU WILL FIND IT S POSSIBLY COME OFF AT THE FILLER END. rEMOVE REAR SEAT BENCH (JUST PULL UP) AND YOU WILL FIND THE CABLE, IM SAURE A JOIN EXISTS THERE BUT I COULD BE WRONG. WE USED TO DO ALOT OF THEM AROUN 05-06
REGARDS BEN
PS TO GET INTO THE ACTUAL FILLER CAP TAPE UP YOUR BODY WORK WITH THICK MASKING TAPE TO STOP DAMAGE TO PAINTWORK. USE A SCREWDRIVER AND PRISE OPEN YOULL SEE THE CABLE THERE

I have the same problem, stopped to fill up and pushed the lever down which used to release the filler cover latch and it would spring open about an inch. But suddenly not opening at all. Maybe i was/am lucky because i push the hinge side of the cover and it opens. Not ideal, but working for now. I will have a look at it in the near future.
The boot opens by pulling the same lever and this is working fine.
My bonnet has a similar problem too, it doesnt spring out. When i got the car i had to pull the dash lever and get someone else to lift the bonnet (hood). Ive greased and oiled it and now it lifts just enough to allow me to open it, but there must be a problem with the spring as it doesn't pop up. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be appreciated.

My k12 had this problem. I found that if I pulled the carpet back around the inside of the filler cap area I could access the cable to pull which opened the fuel door.

My k12 had this problem. I found that if I pulled the carpet back around the inside of the filler cap area I could access the cable to pull which opened the fuel door.
On closer inspection ibe found it is the spring clip not pushing the door out, the white plastic catch is working. I jave stuck a piece of rubber to the back of fuel door and wedged some folded up insulation tape behind the clip so it pushes more and opens the door about 2 inches now :)