• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Bash's Hillclimb car

$_86.JPG

It's a 1.0 base spec 'shape', Plans are for a bit of Hillclimbing in the 1a (up to 1400cc) class next season at Harewood.

Last edited:

pork

Club Member
Regarding the Saab dampers......which year you use? Was there any mods to make them fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were from a 2004 saloon, but any 93 from that type shape should fit,
there are several different ones for the spec of car e.g. stiffer for estate version etc, the sticker on them come with the part number and a colour code (mine are red but did see green and yellow at the scrappers too),

they fit just like corsa rears just needing the lower bush narrowing slightly

It certainly is,

Standard 1.3 Front ARB (hopefully this set up should neutralise the understeer a little)
Janspeed system
LUK Clutch
rear crank seal

HOL engine/gearbox mounts

and made a pretty convincing home brew Group A intake copy out of a mixture of saab and volvo intake pipes.

Last edited:
The engine is fitted and running well, it revs like a bike, the idle isn't the best but liveable,
the koni coilovers are fitted,

fullsizeoutput_3bf.jpeg

Last edited:
It gives a much more positive gearshift as the 1/4" play in the rubber mounts equates to around 3 times that at the knob, here a pic for anyone wanting to do a similar mod

IMG_2623.JPG

Here are the rear shocks
top is standard k11
middle is corsa 'c' koni adjustable
bottom is 2002 - 2012 saab 93

the saab and corsa shock are the same length but the corsa one still has a rubber bush fitted in this picture making it look slightly longer.

the lower bush width is
standard k11 = 32mm
corsa 'c' = 34mm (needs narrowing by 2mm)
saab 93 = 37.5mm (needs narrowing by 5.5mm, there is enough material to take this off easily enough)

top stud diameter (where the strut top bush goes)
k11 =10mm
corsa = 12mm
saab =10mm

fullsizeoutput_3c2.jpeg

Motordrive seat fitted but I want to drop it down a couple of inch after driving it,
fitted the £12 eBay rev counter that seems to work exceptionally well

fullsizeoutput_3dd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3d6.jpeg

Started knocking the rough edges off the casting of the spare head,
does any one know how much valve lift you can get away with on the standard valve springs before you start getting coil bound, I'm undecided to go with the autosprint cams or the piper ultimate road with 9mm of lift

IMG_2668.JPG
fullsizeoutput_3df.jpeg

frank

Club Member
i ran the 10mm autosprints with the washer removed from under the spring np, and those inlet ports are a bottleneck eh, i opened these about 2mm

PICT0264.JPG

cheers frank,
I'm going to knife edge the bridge between the ports a little more and then just smooth the exhausts a little,
10mm lift seems fairly extreme on a 28mm diameter valve, do they do more options on the regrinds?
do you know what Matts 773 cam specs were?

Here are the rear shocks
top is standard k11
middle is corsa 'c' koni adjustable
bottom is 2002 - 2012 saab 93

the saab and corsa shock are the same length but the corsa one still has a rubber bush fitted in this picture making it look slightly longer.

the lower bush width is
standard k11 = 32mm
corsa 'c' = 34mm (needs narrowing by 2mm)
saab 93 = 37.5mm (needs narrowing by 5.5mm, there is enough material to take this off easily enough)

top stud diameter (where the strut top bush goes)
k11 =10mm
corsa = 12mm
saab =10mm

View attachment 55074
Whats the length of a corsa b or saab rear shock? Dont have them in my country need to find an alternative

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Well I better update this,

The car has had been altered in spec slightly, it's currently
both anti roll bars upgraded to 22mm front and rear
Koni front shocks with 180lb springs
Saab 93 rear shocks with HOL Tarmac springs (cut down by 2 coils)
Janspeed stainless full system
100nx air box with K&N
1.6 injectors
Adjustable FPR (53 psi with no vac line on)
2.6kg TTV flywheel
Solid engine mounts

The car made 101bhp on RS Tuning's conservative rolling road with a AFR of 13 to 1
the car has been corner weighted and came in at 749kg with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Last edited:

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
Well I better update this, the car had it's first official outing at Harewood Hillclimb on the 25th of March and performed very well managing an equivalent of a second in class 1 and finishing just 0.07 of a second behind the current record holder in a very rapid Nova.

The car has had been altered in spec slightly, it's currently
22mm front and rear anti roll bars
Koni Vauxhall Corsa front shocks with 180lb springs
Saab 93 rear shocks with HOL Tarmac springs (cut down by 2 coils)
Janspeed 4-2-1 manifold with stainless full system
100nx air box with K&N
1.6 injectors
Adjustable FPR (53 psi with no vac line on)
2.6kg TTV flywheel
Custom front lower suspension brace
Solid engine mounts
98 spec box
The car made 101bhp on RS Tuning's conservative rolling road with a AFR of 13 to 1
the car has been corner weighted and came in at 749kg with 1/4 tank of fuel.

Ordered this week
773 cams
and the ecu is going to Ed for a Nistune board

View attachment 57105

What do you find the anti roll bars like? I've a 25 front and a 22 adjustable rear to go on soon just wondering

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

I tried standard front and 20mm rear for a while with 325lb front springs but it was trashy and tended to understeer
now with 22mm F & R ( rear is on hardest hole setting ) and the 180lb front springs it's far more nimble and roll stiffness is massively improved.

It's a matter of suck it and see with your 25mm bar I reckon as there's so many variables like tyre's, shock damping rate, geometry etc that will effect how the car feels.

LiamC

I've ruined my car ?
I tried standard front and 20mm rear for a while with 325lb front springs but it was trashy and tended to understeer
now with 22mm F & R ( rear is on hardest hole setting ) and the 180lb front springs it's far more nimble and roll stiffness is massively improved.

It's a matter of suck it and see with your 25mm bar I reckon as there's so many variables like tyre's, shock damping rate, geometry etc that will effect how the car feels.

I should ask Matt Humphris what spring rates the hol springs are and go from there. I have adjustable drop links for the rear too so plenty of room for fettling

Thanks for the info on that I'll have a good read up of different set ups

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app