Banded steels tyre selection

pork

Club Member
Before you run to your keyboards to type in capitals SEARCH!

I've tried, and only get a few threads come up with little answers (not sure if its a tapatalk thang?)

Iv got a set of facelift k10 13''wheels, gunna add another 2 inches onto them.

Now, i have no ideas on how to select the right tyre,

Wise man say: the tyre maketh the wheel

Certain brands better than others? Profile....aaaaand so on

Once you know...you know!

If I have been a complete pleb and there's a thread that's been floating around for sometime, then please point me that way

so you're going 13x7? go on tyrestretch.com and you'll be able to see different profiles and widths

brands are more a personal choice, I like nankangs and maxxis others may not :)

*edit* if you go with 175 or wider don't go higher than a 50 profile

Wanna keep them under standard arches :) similar to machi sans wheels
Did flick through his blog but couldn't find which tyres he used

That's another thing, haven't started the wheels yet, so does certain widths make it easier to fit tyres

6x13 175/60 no stretch
7x13 175/60 a little stretch
6.5x15 195/50 no stretch
I have 175/60 Toyo Proxes CF1's on my front 7x13 minilights, good price and very grippy. Not a fan of massive stretch tbh
Rolling radius is pretty much identical to standard too

As others have said 165/55 is pretty much standard around these parts and elsewhere on a 7". Theres a bit of stretch but nothing that is likely to attract too much unwanted attention. My MOT man likes mine, and my tyre fitter has had no problem fitting them - some may get a bit shirty, particuarly Quick Fit type places - they will be fitting tyres to a width outside the manufacturers guidelines.

At the budget end there are Nankangs, with a rim protector, and Acceleras, without a rim protector moulded into the tyre wall - until now my preferance has been the acceleras, but I'm moving towards the Nankangs because the slightly wider rim lip on the steels im running loos less good without the rim protector. Take a look at Jay's (acceleras) and skymeras (Nangkangs) to see the difference. I don't know about tyres further up the price range :)

One thing to watch out for is that your final drive will drop a bit - Great acceleration :), but higher revs cruising and lower mpg on journeys :(.

As others have said its all about the offset whether they will fit or not. Draw pictures, use simulators (www.willtheyfit.com & www.fitmywheels.com) and see how you get on. I can't see 165/55s on 7 with an offset of around +5 or a bit higher being a problem - you'll have to work out what your stock steels would be with a 2" (presuming they are 5 not 4.5) band added to the front and go from there.

Offset = Back Space - (1/2 rim width)

Here's a few tyre size examples from my archive.....

155/70 on 6
DSCI0282-1.jpg

175/60 on an 8
DSCF0403.jpg

155/70 on a 7
DSCF1006.jpg

165/55 on a 7
DSCF1858.jpg

165/55 on a 7 (front) 165/55 on an 8 (rear)
DSCF2095.jpg

165/55 on L to R 8,7,6 middle one is an accelera, either end are nankangs.
DSCF2173.jpg

from the other end
DSCF2174.jpg

165/55 on a 5"
DSCF5765.jpg

Back