Back Rear Bumper brace removal

I noticed a set of rules for f1000 rallying that said it is legal to remove the 'brace bar' from inside the back bumper. I have mine out and it weighs 2.3kg so it's a worthwhile no pain weight reduction.

I just wondered if anyone can give me good advice on how best / neatest / simplest / cheap ways to re-affix the bumper to the car when it's gone. The only two fixings I have left are the front upper ones, vertical in the back of the rear wheel arches.

20130320_211223_zpsfd2385de.jpg

Obviously 2 of the 4 bolts sheared off during removal too so it can't go back as good as new already.

i removed the bar
then cut an inch each side of a pair of studs
then put that 2" bit in the middle of the bumper.
put the bumper in place, then drill 2 new holes in the car for the studs.
attach with the studs and corners (cable ties!)

My front is only held on by the screw at either side...

If you wnated to go ghetto, take the whole brace out and then some very long bolts screwed through the bumper and going into the cabin - not pretty, but effective. In fact, you've got me thinking of doing it now!

WDID Pop rivet 2 angle brackets about 75cm apart either side of centre into the wheel well area iirc. Then 2 self tappers vertical down into them along with a tie wrap at the back of each wheel arch. Reduction about 2.3kg minus new bracketry of course. A bit wobbly and nowhere to fix at bottom but not fell off yet! First real test = next event.

Where are the bolts round to remove the rear bumper in the first place guys? Gonna paint the rear since ive been doing the front recently :)

Back