Average N-CVT life expectancy

Hi

I’d be grateful if everyone who owns micra CVT could tell me what millage their cars are at and if they have had any problems.
I have read allot on this and it seems that most gearbox's need work at around 50,000 miles. Is this what people are experiencing>
My Micra is at 33k and going strong. its a 2000 reg, N-CVT (the last of the N-CVT before the H-CVT was introduced)
All comments appreciated

James

I bought a 1994 K11 1.3 SLX NCVT with a knackered gearbox a few years ago to convert to manual and that was on 77k. I'm pretty sure it hadn't had any transmission problems up to that point.

Generally the carbon brushes wear out after 50 - 55k miles and need to be replaced. It's a simple home job to change them, once you take all the other crap out of the way like the battery, top radiator hose, fuse box etc. Unplug and unbolt it and it comes out with no fuss, but at £150 for a replacement brush people just scrap the car.
The other weak spot i have heard about is the clutch, which is essentially filled with iron filings which become solid when the carbon brush delivers current to the clutch bell housing. Kinda like a traditional torque converter but using iron filings and electricity instead of A/T fluid and a pump. They sometimes breakdown and have to be replaced, again at £900 per new unit from nissan, people just scrap the car.
Generally the problems lie with the carbon brush wearing out rather than anything else. It'll start as an intermittant fault, the cvt light comming on and the car refusing to move or jerking while driving. I think that most people agree that the n-cvt box is a cancer, and one that should be avoided if you can.

Back