Auxiliary Drive Belts Info Required

Getting some strange mecahnical noise from my 1997 CG10DE and have to diagnose its cause. Its coming from the front of the engine, so I decided to check the drive belts and pullies respectively forst. Could someone uplod/link a diagram of the belt system please, this will be very helpful, as im only a beginner. Thanks in advance! (Y)

frank

Club Member
there are various different setups ognyan
attachment.php

Attachments

• belts.gif
    belts.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,458
OP
OP
Ognyan
Yes i have the most basic: no power steering or air conditioning. There are two belts one only runs the alternator and the other goes through water pump and an idler pulley as far as I can see. :suspect:

OP
OP
Ognyan
Found a lot of play in the idler pulley and guessing it is the cause of most of the noise. It looks quite corroded/rusty so it will have to go. :glare:

frank

Club Member
Found a lot of play in the idler pulley and guessing it is the cause of most of the noise. It looks quite corroded/rusty so it will have to go. :glare:

my idler was dispensed with a while back :wasntme:

attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0442.JPG
    PICT0442.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 1,962
OP
OP
Ognyan
Neat modification. (Y)
Is there some adjustment in the water pump, to replace the job of the tensioner, or did you make it adjustable?
If its easier than buying and fitting a new idler I might have to do it your way.

OP
OP
Ognyan
Alright, so I'll be getting a new idler and belts.
Who would have these kind of parts in stock? Any recommendations? :wasntme:

OP
OP
Ognyan
Its a shame there are none on eBay. No K11s in the local scrappy either :(
Probably going to have to go the expensive route.
Frank do you happen to know the part number? That would help quite a bit.

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
No expert but worst case scenario is a new chain kit needed - big job.

OP
OP
Ognyan
No expert but worst case scenario is a new chain kit needed - big job.

Yep, new kit will be a mammoth of a jobbie :(
But sorry, just cant think why new chains might be needed. They shouldn't stretch, or wear out afterall that is the advantage of chains over belts. Right!?!?!? fwn