Autosprint Cams, Shims?

Thinking about getting an uprated inlet cam for a 1.0.

I think I've decided to go for Autosprint - 260deg, 9mm lift.

Just wondering if I will need to mess around with the shims and valve clearances or will it be a straight swap like putting 1.4 cams into a 1.0?

Thanks.

Last edited:
you need a 2nd shim under the bucket (plenty of threads on here) and then fit the 1.4 inlet to the exh side :)

The autosprint will be a regrind from the 1.4 inlet. I do have a 1.4 exhaust cam though but never installed it due to the power band being shifted up with no extra power compared to just putting the 1.4 inlet cam in - but do you think the 1.4 exhaust cam will complement the re-grinded 1.4 inlet cam well? (since a reprofiled cam will shift the powerband up anyway?)

Thanks for the help regarding shims.

yes if you have the 1.4 exh cam you may as well fit it

Hi,

Just one last question, forgive me if I'm being dumb lol.

Was going to remove my 1.4 inlet today to send it off to autosprint but then had a thought.

Since I already have a 1.4 exhaust camshaft sitting in the garage, can I not just send that off to be regrinded and then fit that on the inlet side, and the existing 1.4 inlet camshaft can be moved over to the exhaust side? This way, I only have to open up the car once and it means I still can drive while the camshaft is sent off to be regrinded. (I sold my original 1.0 cams so wouldn't be able to drive until the camshaft regrind was complete).

I guess the question is: are the 1.4 inlet and exhaust camshafts exactly the same?

Thanks.

yes same cams basically, but the dowel is in a different position, you have to line the lobes up and maybe file a flat on the dowel

yes same cams basically, but the dowel is in a different position, you have to line the lobes up and maybe file a flat on the dowel

Yes the 10 o clock and 2 o clock like your TDC picture. Could I not just spin the inlet sprocket a few teeth to line up the sprocket slot with the dowel position of the exhaust cam, then put the sprocket back on the chain? (eliminates need to file the dowel?)

yes you have to turn the sprocket round a few teeth, but you will probably need some fine adjustment too, i did it a few times but my dowels were all filed anyway so not sure if you will need filing tbh

What sort of powerband do these autoprint inlet cams work best at? I have a coilpack model so rev limiter is fixed at 6500rpm, and I don't want to have a cam that works best above my max rpm lol (like the piper ultimate cams) because then it would be a waste of money getting it regrinded.

Last edited:
Back