Automatic Updates - Everyone with Windows XP should read this!

rlees85

Ex. Club Member
You know that yellow sheild thing in the bottom corner, that pops up when windows wnats to install some updates?

Before allowing it to do so, make sure Windows Geniune Advantage is not there, if it is, un-tick it.

If you allow this update to get onto your PC and your version of windows is not legitimate (for what ever reason) it will annoy the hell out of you.

Disclaimer (before i get told off ;)): I am not promoting the use of dodgy copies of windows.

Even with an unverified copy of windows, automatic updates still works. Many microsoft support pages suggest using so if you cannot get onto the windows update website! Volume licence users cannot use windows update because there editions cannot be verified, even tho they are genuine licenced users.

however anyone with a genuine version shouldnt have anything to worry about.

This latest version of WGA keeps popping up in the bottom corner "Your version of windows appears to be priated, please buy a lisence here" and makes you wait a few seconds on the logon screen...

Ahh ok, didnt know they've released another one! How irritating if thats the case, but like i said, if your genuine, it shouldnt matter!

you cant dowload any futher updates from windows update without it forcibly downloading a programme which stays on your computer and checks and informs microsoft if you have a genuine version. once downloaded windows will not let you delete the programme. i was so angry when this happend without my permission i had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of it. i have a genuine windows but its the principle of it. but since then i decided to allow it as i want the latest security for xp updates etc.

as far as i'm aware you cant untick it, when i tried reinstalling the updates wga has to be dowloaded to get acces to windows update. another things thats bad is that in the help section it says you can unistall any of the windows update file by ticking them and unistalling them, but with wga you cant.

yeah i noticed that, so i went into dos and did

dir wga*.* /s

and deleted every file that came up

then went though the registry searching: wga
and deleted any thing related to wga.

given most people wont know what im talking about in this post.

Arnold said:
Very dangerous and not recommended!

Exactly, you should not go into the registry or use any registry "cleaning" programs unless you really know what you are doing. :-/

Arnold said:
Ahh ok, didnt know they've released another one! How irritating if thats the case, but like i said, if your genuine, it shouldnt matter!

Exactly, its only £50 now anyway...lol

nizzanz1 said:
£50 is alot of money.

If somethings worth using, it should be paid for!

Owning legal software is no different to owning a TV licence or having road tax. You wouldnt drive a car or watch TV without those, so why should using a computer be any different?

mine came with my new computer so its legal etc. but all i'm saying is £50 is lot of money. its not an amount of money to say its hardly anything so just buy it anyway.
everyone else in the world watches tv without a licence. its a national disgrace the tv licence. if i had available money i would probably pay to have bbc channels, but thats a freedom uk law doesnt give us a chance to decide upon. but thats another debate.

nizzanz1 said:
mine came with my new computer so its legal etc. but all i'm saying is £50 is lot of money. its not an amount of money to say its hardly anything so just buy it anyway.
everyone else in the world watches tv without a licence. its a national disgrace the tv licence. if i had available money i would probably pay to have bbc channels, but thats a freedom uk law doesnt give us a chance to decide upon. but thats another debate.

Agreed, i personally think tv licence should be scrapped but i was just using it as an example

there could probably be an equation made somehow but personal wealth/lifestyle/environmental culture/legality of actions are quite connected. the poorer you are to attain desired things the more "wrong" things your likely to do. such as have sneaky free software. to me thats top of the ladder. the more worse off you are the lower it goes. until say in some countries you have no money you kill the person next to your for any valuables they have on them. when your at the bottom you kill them take their clothes and eat them because your starving. this does actually happen in our world.
but hey thats quite an extreme example of where software copying exists on the importance of things in life.
forgive my rammbling, its a just a view though.
what i said doesnt mean, if your poor you do wrong things. its just bounderies get changed of what you might do if you really want it. or are interested.

i have a pirate version of windows, like a whole LOT of people, but i do also have 2 genuine XP CD keys. With my uni i get access to the MSDN and i can download a load of MS programs for free, with serials :). But the thing is screwed up atm and didnt let me download windows XP, so i just pirated it, imo i've done nothing wrong, i have 2 genuine serials, but it just work...

Ian said:
i have a pirate version of windows, like a whole LOT of people, but i do also have 2 genuine XP CD keys. With my uni i get access to the MSDN and i can download a load of MS programs for free, with serials :). But the thing is screwed up atm and didnt let me download windows XP, so i just pirated it, imo i've done nothing wrong, i have 2 genuine serials, but it just work...

You could have a book of genuine CD keys mate, doesnt make it legal! a valid licence or software agreement makes it legal, and i dont think having a MSDN makes the software legal! Its just developer tools, software updates and stuff like that!

I thought if you had a geniune key, it doesnt matter what media the windows installation is on (original cd, copied cd, network...)

it must be legal, MS dont hand out keys like that. if they gave me access to it, im gonna use it. I don't see anything wrong withh that tbh :s (soon as it works properly :p)

I wondered when this would appear.. I have had lots of people asking me how to get around this now.. lol

Ed

Ian said:
... so i just pirated it, imo i've done nothing wrong, ... but it just work...

You said it yourself! You pirated a copy that "just works". That will mean that the serial authentication part of the install has been bypassed. If this is the case then you have knowingly went against the EULA. However, the only reason little is done with pirates is due to the cost involved.

Even Microsoft would find it hard to go after each individual / website / company that knowingly bypasses security features and authentication methods put in place by them.

Buy an OEM license for £50 and your done, with none of the hassle of avoiding possible MS snoop software, Authentication "patches" and Microsoft based websites.

Back