Auto to manual gearbox?

Hi, i'm a newbie and have just been given a 1999 micra which is an automatic.
I'm getting infuriated with it because while I can hear the engine reving the wheels don't seem to get the power!

A solution (possibly) i'm considering is changing the gearbox to a manual, does anyone know if this is possible? I have found a manual gearbox for the same year but I don't know if I can just change them or if I need a whole new engine?

Help much appreciated!

u should be able to change it without too many probs iirc. you would need pedal box, gearbox, clutch not sure wot else though

Well an auto engine has been fitted to a manual box before. The automatic boxes are stronger than the manual ones too.

As far as I know you will need:
Gearbox
Clutch
Flywheel
Clutch Cable
Clutch Pedal
Gear Linkage
Gearstick

What I'm not too sure about is if the drive shafts are the same.

i presumme it can be done as people are getting auto engines and converting them to maunels for turbo conversions etc as the auto blocks are stronger than manuel blocks.

altough i dont think anyone who has an auto block has finished changing the auto box for a mauel box as they havent got that far yet :s

as above you would need the list ollie as put down.

Also I wish to add you may require a little bit of custom wiring, the gearbox has some wires on it for the reverse and neutral (neutral is for the ECU it wants to know i you're in neutral for some reason).

You may need to cut/join a couple of wires.

drill hole for clutch pedal and cable, maybe gearbox mount/s and you'll need a manual brake pedal aswell, possibly a manual ecu (not sure on that one).

Back