ARP head stud set for the ST

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I am looking into getting a set of ARP head studs made for the March ST.

Does this interest anyone here?

As yet I have no idea of cost.

Ed

yes, interested, I think they are a good idea in pretty much any build.

but btw, when in my rebuild thread I did mention head studs and you mentioned you don't normally bother - have you changed your mind?

No not really, OEM are still fine, just ARP are nice ;) and technically superior!

Can i ask what the advantage of having these would be? i need to get some other stuff sorted unfortunately before i think about the head bolts :D

Steve

Well there is no real reason other than the engineering behind the studs and the way they work is more consistent and accurate than say OEM head bolts. Specifically speaking, there would be little advantage say in a normal setup. Its more a case of over engineering, which is something I like to do.

i agree, i would rather an over engineered car than something that 'just does the job' and no room for expansion, Cheers Ed, i will however be interested in getting my engine work done if you could spare a bit of time to see how much i need :)

Cheers

Steve

Ill be chasing up the liners tomorrow. :) So hope to have some info by the end of the day :)

yeah basically when used properly they will clamp tighter and more consistently than the standard bolts. I think they are a very good idea in any rebuild, let along a small, high boost motor like these.

They generally come in about 30-50% more than new, genuine bolts. and you should never reuse head bolts anyway.

where are the ARP bolts better and how do they enable tightler clamping? as the bolt is only as tight as you tighten it and is still only as strong as the thread in the alu block, the ma bolts arent stretch, so i would have thought if thery were torqued to a set figure how do they have less of a clamping effect then the ARP ones?

so on that basis then if you use ARP's 'special' bolt lube with standard bolts you would get equal levels of clamp, afterall once friction is overcome the bolt is only as tight as the settign on the torque wrench, even more so with no-give copper head gaskets

where are the ARP bolts better and how do they enable tightler clamping? as the bolt is only as tight as you tighten it and is still only as strong as the thread in the alu block, the ma bolts arent stretch, so i would have thought if thery were torqued to a set figure how do they have less of a clamping effect then the ARP ones?

x2, autodata says not to renew headbolts, and you would need some serious boost to snap a stock headbolt imo :eek:

so on that basis then, using ARP's 'special' bolt lubricant and standard head bolts will give similar levels of clamp, as once firction has been overcome the bolt is onlt as tight as the setting on the torque wrench.

Autodata considers that the car makes about 50bhp/L not 200+.

Your still missing the point, its about over engineering, as opposed for just making do, however there are some areas (such as con-rod bolts) where I consider ARP essential, and a significant improvement over stock.

I knew you'd say that... No they are not made of the same or qualty of material. I think you may risk over clamping standard bolts by using the moly lube.

Again, its the whole system of washers, bolt design lube etc that makes it work, not any one single component.

thank god for links....the easy answer is that studs are a little better.

some reasons:
you mention 'they are torqued to the same figure". actually the arp studs can be tighter due to the grade of steel used and the treatment. ideally you will use a stretch gauge which measures the actual tension, not a torque wrench which guesses the tension based on how much effort it takes to twist the fastener. they are rated to 190,000psi ish instead of around 120,000psi for a common head bolt.
bolts turn when you tighten them, with studs only the nut turns. this means the torque you are putting into it (and measuring) is spent only on turning the fastener not the whole bolt. much more accurate.

arp approach benefits:
arp cut the thread after heat treatment not before. this means when the thread is rolled in it is stronger at the points that take the most load. if you cut the thread then heat treat the resulting thread has even strength at the low and high stress points
arp design studs at the right length for the nut - the point where the nut/thread engages is the weakest on the fastener.
fine thread on top end = higher clamping at the same torque
fastener design - they have been very careful with design like wider diameter at the stressed area (threads), gentle radius to protect against stress raisers (were fatigue cracks start), machining for straightness last etc.

reasons some people say are a benefit but are not:
studs locate the head correctly. no way, jose. bolts are designed to clamp not hold in shear ie sideways movement. dowels are designed to locate a head properly

basically - I would expect a more reliable head to block seal under harsh conditions. I might only be 20% better but maybe that will make the difference

ed the link as far as i can see is in relation to big end bearing bolts, which i could sort of justify the need, but im still not convinced by head bolts/stude, ive seen lots of engines in my uncles garage and my dad bought a transit engine where the timing belts/ chains etc have snapped or had trouble, it bends valves, rods, cams, the engine my dad bought it broke the aluminium rocker box on the head, you caould actually see where the piston had left an indentation on the head, but the head bolts wernt broke or even damaged or bent.

hmm posting problems but i think I made my point above. arp make great fasteners which in practice are 20-50% better than stock/oem. depends by model whether that really matters, but I prefer the extra insurance

wow. cool. i am posting 20 min in the past. or you guys are posting 20 min in the future.

either way, if anyone wants the lottery numbers, let me know.

Autodata considers that the car makes about 50bhp/L not 200+.

Your still missing the point, its about over engineering, as opposed for just making do, however there are some areas (such as con-rod bolts) where I consider ARP essential, and a significant improvement over stock.

i agree with the above (just not the "and you should never reuse head bolts anyway" bit.) :grinning:

HAHAHA JAMES has A LOT to answer for right now!! This thread is totally screwed lol.

i see some really valid points there duncan, if you were building a engine from the ground up, with all new parts, and it was intended to have any sort of preformance then its really a no brainer to use them especially if there were similar in price to the oem unit, my case was there not 100% necessary for every engine on the road.

i see some really valid points there duncan, if you were building a engine from the ground up, with all new parts, and it was intended to have any sort of preformance then its really a no brainer to use them especially if there were similar in price to the oem unit, my case was there not 100% necessary for every engine on the road.

yeah that's exaclty how i look at it too.

btw...should i wander elsewhere on these forums? my car handles like a bucket of #### but it sounds like there is a thread somewhere else i should know about. I had no luclk chasing down info from the k10 cup racers despite a couple of different contacts in japan

Yep accept that too. I've never had issues with re-using Micra ones. Just make sure they are clean etc etc..

ed the link as far as i can see is in relation to big end bearing bolts, which i could sort of justify the need, but im still not convinced by head bolts/stude, ive seen lots of engines in my uncles garage and my dad bought a transit engine where the timing belts/ chains etc have snapped or had trouble, it bends valves, rods, cams, the engine my dad bought it broke the aluminium rocker box on the head, you caould actually see where the piston had left an indentation on the head, but the head bolts wernt broke or even damaged or bent.

On an engine where tolerances are tight and normal gasket materials are not being used i.e. copper with no 'give' to it, your guaranteed a much more uniform and consistent level of torque across your head bolts (or any for that matter) using the ARP system. Much of the torque applied to bolts is friction in turning them, as well as the clamping force, and it can vary a lot between bolts. ARP researched this on theirs and using their bolt lube with their studs allows very precise and accurate clamping loads across all the head bolts. It could make the difference between a headgasket sealing - or not, under very high loads. That's why for most here its overkill. Very very few are intending to push huge power from such small capacity.

when the clocks reset , if the posts can be re-ordered this is the rough order.

delete

i suspected that, lol, perhaps you could put all the single posts into 1 big post in the order above and then delete them all? seems like a really usefull thread thats been tipped upside down.

Once you have a price I'll be interested Ed. Although my 'high bhp' block is going to be at least 5 years away now...I'm just slowly gettin bits together for when the time comes for a complete rebuild, so these sound promising. Cheers.

Back