Are they starting to dissapear?

Are Micras starting to get a little more thin on the ground? The reason i ask is ive been looking for a 1993/1994 micra 3 door manual for a while (no sunroof, no p/s, absolutly basic spec) Low mileage good condition, and whilst i havnt been constanly looking i havnt seen anything matching that spec come up for sale. Ive got my 1.4 SE+ thats now done 90k and its still going strong, but ive been casualy looking out for and early one that i can do a bit of work on as a bit of a project because ive got an itch i need to scratch. Obviosly as time goes on any car gets rarer, but ive really began to notice that you dont seem to see them as often as you used to, not to say theres still alot of them about. I know they are popular on banger racing for small bangers , and other motorsports also, so it must be having an effect on their numbers. 15-20 years ago I was into minis, and at the time youd see them all over the place, then once you noticed the numbers begin to drop before you know it theyre all but gone. I dont want to go and shoot myself in the foot by saying go and buy all the clean ones you can, whilst you can, only for someone else to buy the car ive been looking for, but the prefacelift micra could be on the tipping point of becomming rare desirable and seeing the prices really start to climb for the good ones, or is it a case of not enough people want them enough to create the demand in the first place? What do you all recon? Oh, and if anyone finds a not red, low mileage 3dr with no bells or whistles, absolutly basic spec 1993 micra in the south(ish), let me know.

pollyp

Club Member
I have a friend Craig Royal up in Sunderland who knows of a 1996 red basic 1.0l that's only done 28k and literally showroom fresh. Give him a message on facebook ;)

Attachments

• 1492325905085.jpg
    1492325905085.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 349
  • 1492325918785.jpg
    1492325918785.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 381
  • 1492325928713.jpg
    1492325928713.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 347
  • 1492325938920.jpg
    1492325938920.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 391
  • 1492325949222.jpg
    1492325949222.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 352
  • 1492325959055.jpg
    1492325959055.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 351
  • 1492325968145.jpg
    1492325968145.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 378
  • 1492325980214.jpg
    1492325980214.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 336
  • 1492325996671.jpg
    1492325996671.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 351
  • 1492326006701.jpg
    1492326006701.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 336
  • 1492326015140.jpg
    1492326015140.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 331
  • 1492326024037.jpg
    1492326024037.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 349
  • 1492326033663.jpg
    1492326033663.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 329
I have a friend Craig Royal up in Sunderland who knows of a 1996 red basic 1.0l that's only done 28k and literally showroom fresh. Give him a message on facebook ;)

That one’s charm is “what it is” looking all original and unmolested, well on its way to becoming a future collectors classic, perhaps too good to be adulterated with random modifications?

Last edited:

pollyp

Club Member
That one’s charm is “what it is” looking all original and unmolested, well on its way to becoming a future collectors classic, perhaps too good to be adulterated with random modifications?

agree, when craig showed me on his phone that it's only 28k and looked like that I couldn't believe it. it's like its been in a museum or shipping container all it's life. wayy too nice to be modded or banger raced or ruined. needs to be parked in someones living room :p

agree, when craig showed me on his phone that it's only 28k and looked like that I couldn't believe it. it's like its been in a museum or shipping container all it's life. wayy too nice to be modded or banger raced or ruined. needs to be parked in someones living room :p

My kind of K11 long term bangernomics Holy Grail. Motoring with no depreciation and absolutely minimum maintenance running costs for years to come. Exactly what it was built for?

OP
OP
k11TZZ
If that red one is really that good, i couldnt touch it, might need the sills tidying up and its original hubcaps but other thanthat it looks like its ready for a museum. In the past ive bought cars like that, one owner low mileage classics and modded them. Not crazy mods, just subtle and i would like to think tasteful mods. But they were enough to knock the value of the cars when i came to sell them. I couldnt do that again, i would at least do easily reversable stuff and keep the original parts. And i dont do red cars. Ive had 2 and they have both been bad luck for me. Id really like a mint green one, mabie white or purple.

I never thought id be thinking like this about a micra, never ever. But now that ive owned 2 for a few years now theyve really grown on me. I just think that when they do dissapear, all those that either dont notice them or ridicule them will begin to look at them with rose tinted glasses and start to wonder what the fuss was all about.

If that red one is really that good, i couldnt touch it, might need the sills tidying up and its original hubcaps but other thanthat it looks like its ready for a museum. In the past ive bought cars like that, one owner low mileage classics and modded them. Not crazy mods, just subtle and i would like to think tasteful mods. But they were enough to knock the value of the cars when i came to sell them. I couldnt do that again, i would at least do easily reversable stuff and keep the original parts. And i dont do red cars. Ive had 2 and they have both been bad luck for me. Id really like a mint green one, mabie white or purple.

I never thought id be thinking like this about a micra, never ever. But now that ive owned 2 for a few years now theyve really grown on me. I just think that when they do dissapear, all those that either dont notice them or ridicule them will begin to look at them with rose tinted glasses and start to wonder what the fuss was all about.

Looks and sounds like you’re getting well into the K11 Micra magic appreciation groove. Agree red & dark colours fade & are too hot in the summer sun. I always seek out polar white, much cooler radiates & reflects heat:~ cost & maintenance free virtual a/c.
May well rise in the pantheon of motoring history & take its place alongside the Morris Minor?

OP
OP
k11TZZ
ive always thought that the micra was as close as i could get to my old mini, and the way i think about mods is similer to that, good point about the minor tho, but the minor has a bit more 'legend' status about it. Mabie its more suited as a newer version of the BMC 1100/1300 range? People have always loved the moggy minor and the mini, but the 1100/1300 was just disposable aside from the few that liked them, until they passed the disposable stage and people started looking for the good ones that hadnt disolved. I first drove a micra when i bought one for my mum. When i started looking for a cheap reliable newer car to replace my 30year old classic I test drove afew cars but there was something about the way a micra drove that stood out. I dont know what it was but it resulted in me buying a micra. When that got written off after a couple of years i started looking for something else when i found my 1.4. Being a 3dr manual SE+ with chrome bits it appealed to me so i bought it. It wasnt untill i started looking to see if there was any others for sale that i realised all the others seem to be 5dr or autos, or both, so mine seems to be quite an unusual spec. Ive always had an interest in cars with rare spec, and with the micras being reliable and cheap to run with a decent slightly 'oldskool' drive quality, whats not to like?

Last edited:
For me the mystique of the Micra is it's so easy to pop around town in.
Always starts, runs on air, park it in any gap you find, light as a feather to drive, you hardly know you're driving at all.
My black Micra I've just sold on, the geezer has had peeps trying to buy it off him already.
Now I drive a blue auto 1.3 micra, or a Suzuki wagonr....another little gem of a car.

I counted over 15 k11 Micras today on my drive out. Can't vouch for the originality but lots still out there. I don't usually use the Micra for longer journeys, 130 mile round trip, but it was just as capable as anything else driving around on a bank holiday weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pollyp

Club Member
I counted over 15 k11 Micras today on my drive out. Can't vouch for the originality but lots still out there. I don't usually use the Micra for longer journeys, 130 mile round trip, but it was just as capable as anything else driving around on a bank holiday weekend!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah I sometimes notice a fleet of K11, especially facelifts, appear all over the place depending on the season.

I take mine on long roadtrips around the UK as well as driven 1500miles to/from nurburgring with ease in a turboed 1.3 SLX running on 195/50/15 tyres cruising at 3k rpm / 70mph

I definitely think the earliest ones are disappearing. You still see a lot but I find they tend to be from the later years of production. They are lovely little cars, we still have ours after 14 years because we love the damn thing not because we can't afford something younger. I look at other cars but they're just not the same. Micra's are friendly little cars but eager & because they're so light & by todays standards very small they're just so nimble & fun. Ours is getting very rusty underneath though:( but if at all possible we'll keep little Muji going ;)
It's definitely a modern classic IMO, in the mould of the Minor & Mini etc. I can't quite believe the lack of coverage in Classic Car magazines as the oldest are now 25 years old so they do qualify, but anti Japanese snobbery will probably prevent them being featured, which is a shame.

OP
OP
k11TZZ
It's definitely a modern classic IMO, in the mould of the Minor & Mini etc. I can't quite believe the lack of coverage in Classic Car magazines as the oldest are now 25 years old so they do qualify, but anti Japanese snobbery will probably prevent them being featured, which is a shame.

Couldnt agree more. There are main stream classic car mags that could do a feature on micras, but as you say their snobbery will get in the way of it for a while yet. In the last year or so I have also looked at getting another car, then I think to myself why get something else when this little thing has been so good to me, ive had quite a variety of cars in the past and the micra makes me think like i did when i had a mini, i want to turn one into a go cart, find out how they can really handle, there are loads of examples of these used in a variety of motorsport, yet they are the most 'bread and butter' car i can think of. I grew up going to classic car shows so id like to think that ive got a good idea of what makes a car classic, in fact i get quite fussy when people claim their car is retro, or even classic or whatever when its just simply old. IMO the micra is a classic, its a classic shape to start with.

OP
OP
k11TZZ
Well, i found a 1993 micra. 18k milesfrom new and not far from me. In the pics its not in perfect condition but is rust free and never been welded. Only problem is i cant get my head around the asking price. Just over £2k. If it was just-left-the-showroom condition, id be tempted to try and get a deal, but its not, couple of marks here and there, go-faster wheeltrims, headrests missing. Its got the potential to be a project to either make it showroom fresh, or wheels and lows and mildy tuned, but not at that price i dont think, or is it? Thing is ive had low mileage minis in the distant past, a 12,000 mile clubman estate for one, and that turned out to be a ticking timebomb that ended up needing a new engine (cue 1300 MG metro engine on twin carbs and lightened and balenced flywheel) and brakes and stuff due to time getting to it rather than the miles and nothing had ever needed renewing until i started to rag it and wore it out. I know micras are a different kettle of fish when compared to a mini, but im sure it will still be somewhat of a moneypit, which i can handle if the price is right. Meh....

2k is far too much IMO for one that's not totally mint & fully original (even then it's a bit much). The owner will be letting the low mileage & old-ish car hype go to their head :D I used to see that a lot many years ago when I wanted a Ford Anglia, the low mileage junk at stupid prices was crazy. Low mileage just means it's not been used much & left standing a lot ;)
If you're willing to pay around that price just wait & be patient, you'll get a minter that doesn't need anything doing.

OP
OP
k11TZZ
Cheers thats pretty much what i thought, trouble is enthusiasm can go to your head lol. In the condition its in id be happy to mod it dispite the low mileage, having said that even if i did get a 110% perfect just-left-the-showroom minter, id probably still be tempted to mod it. Even so i wouldnt pay 2k for one, i know that sooner or later a good one will come up at a good price.

MaxK11C

Micraless
Social Brand Manager
Plenty around.
Good condition ones? High spec ones? A different matter all together. I've been around only for about four years - And even I've noticed in that time a decline in good condition Micra's, most either have rotted into the ground or have had crash damage to the shell, or are just generally tatty. This is having an effect on the price too - I've seen Super S's sell for over £1000, which a few years ago wouldn't have happened.
Only a handful of people realise their full potential, thus the market for enthusiast owned Micras is very slim, therefore they're a dying breed!!

Keep what you have.
Maintain and look after what you have.
Buy ANY and ALL clean, rust free examples, fill up ANY available space with K11's
And most importantly enjoy driving a hidden gem in the motoring world, knowing that the masses don't know what they're missing.

Micras for ever!

OP
OP
k11TZZ
Well ive already got the high spec one for a daily, its got everything, electric windows, aircon etc etc, most of which ive considered removing. What im looking for now is one with nothing. No sunroof, manual windows, no airbag, no power steering ect. With other cars it seems that as time goes on it is generaly the higher spec cars that survive in better numbers and in better condition, because they are the ones that people want if they really like the brand. The micra is now at the age that the one owner low mileage examples will occasionaly turn up, with the 5dr auto probably being more common, the few sporty ones will probably get ragged about and used up, and plenty will get used as daily a to b cars that will get run into the ground and scrapped. Its always been these sort of cars that you see everywhere one minute and then wonder where theyve all gone the next. As mentioned before i see them as the new BMC 1100 1300, the ultimate disposable car for some time, and was also britians best selling car for quite afew years, the BOOM, they all rot away and look at their values now. Main difference is the 1100 wasnt that popular in any form of motorsport, the micra is so good ones will be lost to that. Ive had a look at my driveway and ive got space for 7 before I start dumping them in the front garden. Better start clearing that garden.

I am almost sure that most folk have no idea how to realisically price what they have for sale. The seller applies a simple formulae: low mileage = high askinging price and wil stubbornly hold onto that notion not having any idea that he has discovered the way to make the car sale proof. You could find listings in say, Autotrader, to show the seller what current asking prices look like. If you really want this car you will need to do some persuasive chat to own it. I think that I would probably sit this car out and wait until a more realistically priced Micra showed up.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Well, i found a 1993 micra. 18k milesfrom new and not far from me. In the pics its not in perfect condition but is rust free and never been welded. Only problem is i cant get my head around the asking price. Just over £2k. If it was just-left-the-showroom condition, id be tempted to try and get a deal, but its not, couple of marks here and there, go-faster wheeltrims, headrests missing. Its got the potential to be a project to either make it showroom fresh, or wheels and lows and mildy tuned, but not at that price i dont think, or is it? Thing is ive had low mileage minis in the distant past, a 12,000 mile clubman estate for one, and that turned out to be a ticking timebomb that ended up needing a new engine (cue 1300 MG metro engine on twin carbs and lightened and balenced flywheel) and brakes and stuff due to time getting to it rather than the miles and nothing had ever needed renewing until i started to rag it and wore it out. I know micras are a different kettle of fish when compared to a mini, but im sure it will still be somewhat of a moneypit, which i can handle if the price is right. Meh....

£375 Why Pay More?

£375 Micra, 2001 & 64K, 12months MOT. Looks Good.

Reference; https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/for-sale/1237139262

Enough said.

Probably the best car bargain in the World?
Someone knows a bargain when they see one and snapped up a low miles good runabout with a years MOT for the price of a bicycle?
Sold & gone in four days as the above Gumtree add is now no longer available.

I am almost sure that most folk have no idea how to realisically price what they have for sale. The seller applies a simple formulae: low mileage = high askinging price and wil stubbornly hold onto that notion not having any idea that he has discovered the way to make the car sale proof. You could find listings in say, Autotrader, to show the seller what current asking prices look like. If you really want this car you will need to do some persuasive chat to own it. I think that I would probably sit this car out and wait until a more realistically priced Micra showed up.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

£595 2003 38K with New Mot Looks all K11good?

“Probably the Best Car Bargain in the World Continued”?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/nissan/nissan-micra-/1238630929

Cheap as chips and going for a song if we look?

Chirpy Chirpy Cheap Cheap anthem to good old cheap Middle of the Road K11”s. by Sally Carr.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, looks tidyish I guess, but clearly the sills have required attention at some time and there is some fierce rust at the rear of the roof channels. Over here in Oz our K11s don't rust so much ( which is great ) but they do get hammered by the sun and so look pretty trashed. Red, Green, and Aqua colours all seem especially susceptible

image.jpg
Couldn't agree more K11TZZ, my first two cars were Minis so I have fond memories of them, but to get one here in Australia ( a decent one ) is just too expensive so a K11 is definitely the next best thing ( in fact, in some ways dare I say better ). I love mine, and feel I have the best of both worlds, a Standard Super S, and a fairly extensively modified LX. Both have a few dings and battle scars ( to be expected on a car over 20 years old ) but apart from very slight surface rust on the front cross member they both look and drive A1

View attachment 53880 Couldn't agree more K11TZZ, my first two cars were Minis so I have fond memories of them, but to get one here in Australia ( a decent one ) is just too expensive so a K11 is definitely the next best thing ( in fact, in some ways dare I say better ). I love mine, and feel I have the best of both worlds, a Standard Super S, and a fairly extensively modified LX. Both have a few dings and battle scars ( to be expected on a car over 20 years old ) but apart from very slight surface rust on the front cross member they both look and drive A1

A very distinctive appealing brace of K11”s in cool polar white and your uncommon Super S would be my Holy Grail if I could find one like it going for a song?

Thanks plmval, I got the LX first ( for $1500 ) though I reckon I have spent close to $5000 on it so far haha. The Super S was advertised at $3500 ( I got it for $3000 ) a lot of money for a 20 year old ni$$an micra, but it was in fairly decent nick ( not as good as the LX mind ) got burned a bit as when I got it home I found the clutch and battery was buggered, though once these were fixed the car has been super cheap and epically reliable

k11s aren't disappearing in my area theres thousands for sale ... wish there was more k10s around or more parts ... i need after market seat rails and they don't seem to exist

Thanks plmval, I got the LX first ( for $1500 ) though I reckon I have spent close to $5000 on it so far haha. The Super S was advertised at $3500 ( I got it for $3000 ) a lot of money for a 20 year old ni$$an micra, but it was in fairly decent nick ( not as good as the LX mind ) got burned a bit as when I got it home I found the clutch and battery was buggered, though once these were fixed the car has been super cheap and epically reliable

A former girlfriend introduced me to her K10 over 20 years ago and I last saw it running well with no problems at 165,000 miles. I was converted to the economic merits and appeal of long-term reliable cheap as chips depreciation free “bangernomics” Micra motoring ever since.

Now on my fifth old Micra bought for a song, run them for four to five years on target and when they get too ropey for my liking, sell them on as good runners with long MOT for more than I paid for them every time, long may this K11 saga continue.

Reference: http://bangernomics.tripod.com/intro.htm

I just grabbed my 63kmile 1994 K11, quite happy with it, a little recommissioning and I think it will be a sweet little run round.

Also, a chap in Rochdale was selling a lower mileage one but a manual! it's on Autotrader if anyone's interested.

I just grabbed my 63kmile 1994 K11, quite happy with it, a little recommissioning and I think it will be a sweet little run round.

Also, a chap in Rochdale was selling a lower mileage one but a manual! it's on Autotrader if anyone's interested.

Welcome and you appear to have discovered Micra gold for little more than scrap prices that is exactly my kind of on target minimum costs motoring good luck. :)

Welcome and you appear to have discovered Micra gold for little more than scrap prices that is exactly my kind of on target minimum costs motoring good luck. :)

Really hoping it's as tidy as it seems, MOT history shows all repairs done, and it looks solid, just unloved. Till it found me :) been out cleaning it today inside and it's coming up nicely.