Are front fog light connectors wired up?

Hi all,

Managed to find a good condition front bumper at the local breakers yard to replace the cracked one which mine had when I bought it.

Whilst I was doing the switch I had a look around to see if I could find the front fog light connectors. I found two that look like the right fit (pictures below). There was one on either side, just in front of the plastic wheel arch cover. I followed the drivers side one and it meets up with the headlight cables and horn and is fed back through the firewall.

I read on a couple of other threads that by default the front fogs won't work and require a new indicator stalk so that they can be operated independently of the rear one. Is this the case? Can I just buy the fog light inserts and have them working?

Any help appreciated.

UPDATE:
Remembered to link the photos this time...

IMG_20170701_132448.jpg

IMG_20170701_140325.jpg

IMG_20170701_143505.jpg

Last edited:
Really? The new stalk has the separated fog light switches obviously, but surely that must mean that the wiring is all there. The fronts don't get switched on with the rear which I already have?
If you have the stalk with the fog switch on it (I doubt you have) then yes they will work.
If you need the stalk, it is a two minute job to fix it ...it'a simple plug in to the existing plug.

If you have the stalk with the fog switch on it (I doubt you have) then yes they will work.
If you need the stalk, it is a two minute job to fix it ...it'a simple plug in to the existing plug.

My stalk has a switch for fog lights, but it is only off or on. The one I've seen that comes with the kit has two switches on, one for front and one for rear.

5fecd06010b62fa559780ea545eeed28.jpg
You need this lad here, with the fronts able to come on separate from the back. I believe for your year you can use Almera ones and also the Almera fog lights themselves. To get my lights working I needed a relay, and the fuse was in place. But mine is a pre facelift

Sent from my SM-G903F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

d7322522413d30672b4ce928c3ecd8a1.jpg

This is the diagram for the fog light switch in the Haynes manual (I forgot to take a picture before I left for work). From this, it looks like the rear fog light can only be switched on at the same time as the front one. Therefore since my rear fog light is currently working, the fronts should also be getting power.

I can use a multimeter to test it and see if they're getting voltage, but unless the replacement indicator does an extra link to the front somehow, I don't know how it would work. (Obviously I could have looked at the wrong diagram)

I realise that my current stalk only has the symbol for rear fogs, but even so...

Ok checked with a multimeter and they aren't getting voltage so the stalk must be doing something!

Also found that the drivers side "inspection flap", just in front of the wheel arch and behind where the drivers side fog light would go is missing. Can someone tell me the correct name for this panel as I need to find a replacement!

Last edited:
Ok checked with a multimeter and they aren't getting voltage so the stalk must be doing something!

Also found that the drivers side "inspection flap", just in front of the wheel arch and behind where the drivers side fog light would go is missing. Can someone tell me the correct name for this panel as I need to find a replacement!
Do you mean the blanking plate (?)
s-l225.jpg

Front foglight stalks. Thin brown wire on the stalk connector is the signal for the front fogs. I've personally never come across the loom for them, I just know they exist. You need to use it to trigger a relay as its like 0.5mm^2 or smaller cable and won't handle much power

Sent from my SM-G930F using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Front foglight stalks. Thin brown wire on the stalk connector is the signal for the front fogs. I've personally never come across the loom for them, I just know they exist. You need to use it to trigger a relay as its like 0.5mm^2 or smaller cable and won't handle much power

Sent from my SM-G930F using Micra Sports Club mobile app
I had seen mention of using a relay, just surprised the fronts are wired up based on the diagrams!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Back