Aquired a 1988 K10 GSX in Red Disc conversion

Charlotte001

Ex. Club Member
Hi I've just aquired a 1988 K10 1.0 GSX in red (seems to be a rare colour according to a few spec sheets on the internet)

My question is : Does anyone know of a rear disc conversion to replace the drums to discs? I know the car isn't an Race car but a little more braking on the back would be nice.

If it's possible (anything is possible) what vehicle would I be looking to source the parts from?

Thanks Charlotte

You don't need to do it. The drums are perfectly adequate. In fact I have done a few laps of Donninton park and with a K10 with just shy of 200bhp the rear drums are fine. There is almost no weight on the back so you just don't need the breaking power.

I dont think it's ever been done, well not by anyone here to my knowledge anyway

disc conversion

Hmmmm

Do any of the other micras in any range have discs? such as the Turbo ?

I have been giving it some thoughts here (my god she thinks!!! yes its better than real work)

As far as I see it all is needed is a the back axle of another vehicle which has the same width and wheelsize oh and the connections must be in the same orientation of course. the bolt the lot together. I'm guessing there are rear shocks and not leaf springs (haven't had a look yet) the handbrake cable would need to come from something else but once the entire lot is bolted together it will be a simple amount of adjustments.

Charlotte

If a whole rear axle mod was indeed feasible it would make a brill project to post with.

It could inspire others (me) to consider it in the future

Youd need to find a new way for the handbrake to work thats for sure

Hi you could use ford seirra rear calipers as they have a mechanical handbrake or use citreon calipers they work off the front wheels you could probably mod them to work off the rear just make brackets out of 1/4 inch plate steel

Hub to disc conversions

Ok if someones (namely you ) have either Haynes or Autodata and can get the rear axle figures then toddle off to the local scrap yard to see which you can match no doubt it will fit :D I might consider it too as it will make braking actually happen. Last time I rode in a Micra K10 was in 1987 we hit a tree totalled the car (I wasn't driving)

Charlotte

I've been told by a club in malaysia one of the st owners cut the ends off a gt starlet back axle and welded them to the st's(sounds like a dodgy move to me)I just stuck drilled and grooved on the front

my suggestion would be, leave the drums, maintain them, replace the cylinder as they are known to jamb up. K10's with working brakes are perfectly well braked, unless you up the speed or weight in which case you'll want to start looking at uprating the front brakes. Discs were only really introduced to small cars as they didn't have the technology to use ABS on drum brakes in the mid 90's.

as ed's already said this would be a complete waste of time on a k10 if you want to improve braking uprate the front brakes. the time and money would be much better spent on giving the car some power

Back