Anyone Into Computers?

had a search, but couldn't find anything, over on YCUK we have a PC enthusiast thread, so I guess I am gonna make one :)

format should be similar to mine:

481024_10151262889161435_1358532477_n.jpg

462590_10150891585011435_1168330911_o.jpg

Specs:

i7 920 c0 @ 4.1ghz
6GB Super Talent RAM
GA-X58-UD3R-2.0
GTX 460 1GB
7500LE (for the telly lol)
Custom Watercooling loop
1x 500GB HDD, 1x 160GB HDD, 2x 80GB IDE HDD
Corsair CX600w PSU
some generic case i stickerbombed, cut up, the current side shot picture is old cause i flushed the loop the other day :)

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
I'll grab some pictures tomorrow but here's my specs:

i5 2500k @3.8ghz
8GB Corsair RAM
Asus Mobo (can't remember the model :p)
Nvidia 460 GTX
Air cooled via lots of fans and big heatsinks :p
1x 2TB drive 1x 250GB drive
Corsair 650w psu

Rocking a casecom case with loads of fan slots!

I'm running a 24" monitor with Logitech 5.1 surround + a turtle beach headset for online stuff! Got a Z-board keyboard and a Razer Deathadder mouse. I absolutely love computers, built my first machine when I was 14!

skymera

Brutal Honesty
ME me me :)

Currently not got much of a gaming rig as I sold a lot of bits over the years when money got tight :rolleyes:

Sold my GTX260 for £100 (Worth £180+ at the time) and an old 7600GS for insurance and beer.
Corsair XM2 RAM started throwing up errors.
My SLi cert 650W PSU blew up Jan last year.
And can't remember what happened to my ASUS motherboard...

At the time (2008/9?) it wasn't the best, but was surely good enough for me:
ASUS P5N-E SLi 650i motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 HSF
Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 4x2GB. I forget the timings.
650W PSU, unbranded, POS blew up.
150GB WD Raptor 10k RPM drive.
Nvidia GeForce GTX260 core216 OC

So rebuilt an old Dell PC salvaging bits from my old gaming rig.

New build in a few months, currently adding up which bits to get, def sticking to the Intel/Nvidia route.

I do causal gaming sometimes. Managed to snap up an XFX 8800GT for £23 on eBay. Old tech but it sure beats my 7600 I was running prev and for just £23.

On the OS side of things I run ArchLinux 99% of the time and have a stagnant Windows 7 Pro 64bit install.

OP
OP
VitzJoe
:D currently im tri-booting OSX Lion, W7U x64 and Uuntu 10.10 :)

it seems PC's and cars both have alot in common; expensive, annoying and annoys the mrs!

OP
OP
VitzJoe
ME me me :)

Currently not got much of a gaming rig as I sold a lot of bits over the years when money got tight :rolleyes:

Sold my GTX260 for £100 (Worth £180+ at the time) and an old 7600GS for insurance and beer.
Corsair XM2 RAM started throwing up errors.
My SLi cert 650W PSU blew up Jan last year.
And can't remember what happened to my ASUS motherboard...

At the time (2008/9?) it wasn't the best, but was surely good enough for me:
ASUS P5N-E SLi 650i motherboard
Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
Arctic Freezer Pro 7 HSF
Corsair XMS2 800MHz DDR2 4x2GB. I forget the timings.
650W PSU, unbranded, POS blew up.
150GB WD Raptor 10k RPM drive.
Nvidia GeForce GTX260 core216 OC

So rebuilt an old Dell PC salvaging bits from my old gaming rig.

New build in a few months, currently adding up which bits to get, def sticking to the Intel/Nvidia route.

I do causal gaming sometimes. Managed to snap up an XFX 8800GT for £23 on eBay. Old tech but it sure beats my 7600 I was running prev and for just £23.

On the OS side of things I run ArchLinux 99% of the time and have a stagnant Windows 7 Pro 64bit install.

Oh yeah, how are those Raptor Drives? I've seen them going for a good price now, and tempted to get a pair in RAID

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Oh yeah, how are those Raptor Drives? I've seen them going for a good price now, and tempted to get a pair in RAID
Old tech now. Run hot, they're noisy and speed reading isn't that great anymore either.
They read 30% faster than drives back then due to a 30% increase in rotational speed.

I wouldn't bother with one.
For example my 5,400RPM 1TB F2 Eco Samsung drive reads about 25% faster and runs much cooler.

Here's mine:
I5 3500k @ 4.4ghz
8gb DDR3 RAM
Evga 670 gtx graphics card
Barracuda Hard drive 1tb
And a 750W supply

And a 24" monitor....
Brother built it a few months ago for more than my micra cost :p
Runs soooo smooth though :)

Acer laptop
-Built in webcam
-Keyboard
-Disk drive
-Track pad
-Speakers

Pretty top of the range gear I have ;)

But nahh ide love to afford a good set up like you lot , but modifying the old micra is an expensive enough hobby :rolleyes: haha

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

James

Chairman
I used to be well into the whole gaming lark, now my best specced PC is my work one!

Intel Core i7 2600
8GB RAM
2TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GT440

OP
OP
VitzJoe
you can build a really good PC for less than £500 now, when i built mine it cost me around £2000! took me ages to do it, infact my original specs were a i5 760 at 4.5gHz (on air) and some corsair RAM, whihc i swapped for some 2133 g-skill RAM and then bought my i7, it takes 10 mins to encode a full video.

funnily enough, my dad's PC broke, so we went to PC World, and I'm sure alot of you lot have taken parents PC shopping, they get excited over multitouch gestures and whatnot, well it had windows 8 (vomit) and it kept breaking, so he got an iPad Retina, its completely replaced his PC! amazing how 10 a years ago, there were no such thing of tables really, and now theyre so good that its replaced a desktop!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
I got a new Dell PC. Much better than my old one :) Used to build them. Don't really have the interest any more.

IMHO no way can a tablet replace a pc - but that's my opinion. Its just an extra tool.

Anyhooo heres a cut n paste, if it lasts as long as my last pc (7 years) I'll be very pleased :)

ItemThis Computer
PerformanceTest Information​
PerformanceTest Version​
8.0 (1009) WIN64​
PassMark Rating​
4301​
System Information​
System Name​
Model​
XPS8500​
Operating System​
Windows 8 build 9200 (64-bit)​
CPU Information​
Manufacturer​
GenuineIntel​
Type​
Intel Core i7-3770 @ 3.40GHz​
Codename​
Ivy Bridge​
CPUID​
Family 6, Model 3A, Stepping 9​
Socket​
LGA1155​

Measured Speed​
3396.5 MHz [Turbo: 3796.0 MHz]​
Multiplier​
34.0X​
Bus Speed​
99.9 MHz​
Front Side Bus Speed​
(N/A)​
Cache per CPU package​
Memory Information​
Total Physical Memory​
16345MB​
Available Physical Memory​
13642MB​
Memory Devices​
Slot 1-4​
4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-12800​
Hynix Semiconductor (Hyundai Electronics) HMT351U6CFR8C-PB, ser​
1.5V, Clk: 800.0MHz, Timings 11-11-11-28 (@ Max. freq.)​

Drive Information​
Physical Drive 1​
SAMSUNG SSD PM830 mSATA 256GB​
Drive Size​
238GB​
Partitions​
W: C: X:​
Interface Type​
SATA​
Bytes per Sector​
512​
RPM​
Solid State​
Physical Drive 2​
ST3000DM001-1CH166​
Drive Size​
2794GB​
Partitions​
D:​
Interface Type​
SATA​
Bytes per Sector​
512​
RPM​
7200​
Optical Drive 1​
PLDS BD-RE DH-8B2SH​

Video Adapters​
Description​
AMD Radeon HD 7770​
Chip Type​
AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x6818)​
DAC Type​
Internal DAC(400MHz)​
Memory​
2048MB​

ahhhh wish i still had my one lol i had a water cooled one but sprung a leak got on mobo an went poooofff lol now i ripped out everything and built a server lol with an amd 4.8gb processer i only use the ob graphics 11 hdd 4 standard cable 6 sata and one usb all pcs in my house run to it....its what i use for my LEGAL DOWNLOADS (wink)....lol .....some of you got some nice specs.....

OP
OP
VitzJoe
IMHO no way can a tablet replace a pc - but that's my opinion. Its just an extra tool.

neither do I, but all he uses it for is browsing, ebay, facebook and some other crap, but this takes pictures and has video chat so he can talk to his other technophobic friends and be all like "ermagherrrd, i am talking to you on mah ipaaaaad"

haha, the look on his face when i told siri to give me directions to doncaster and it came up instantly, with the fastest route and the most cost effective route. it was priceless

Tchaaa

Buy & Sell Member
My rig isn't what you'd call gaming, but it was my hobby to keep building it up at one point. Then I got a car, and a lot of my money got dumped into petrol, and since then I've lost the bug a bit.

i7-860 (1156 i5 Socket Model) @ 3Ghz (had it running up to 4Ghz once, but, danger to manifold to quote Fast & Furious!)
Gigabyte GA-UD5-DS4 (Bought to replace the ****ty cheap ASUS board I originally built which couldn't even handle simple things like a clock or the power/reset button)
8Gb DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
PNY NVidia GT220 (bought on impulse as it was OSx86 compatible, and I have a habit of killing cards, 7300GS bit the dust!)
Plethora of old Hard Disks all hooked up.
Vanilla Multibeast build of OS X, which runs sweet as a nut minus no sleep :(

Hooked up to a 24" Samsung & 22" Acer screens. So not too shabby. I think my next upgrade will be an SSD it's just the main time I need more disk bandwith is when I'm in Lightroom, Photoshop & Aperture, and an SSD wouldn't really help there as I don't think they make them big enough for my photo library without having to sell a kidney to afford one!

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
:D currently im tri-booting OSX Lion, W7U x64 and Uuntu 10.10 :)

it seems PC's and cars both have alot in common; expensive, annoying and annoys the mrs!

Agree with that 100%!

I'm rocking a little hackintoshed Dell laptop - I'm studying media and too poor for a proper Mac like everyone else in this damn course...

... But then none of them drive either. Car or laptop? Car! DUH!

Oh and the temptation to run Linux is always growing now that Steam have games out on it!

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Linux is ok. Kinda over rated by those who dont know anything about it. I've used it for web servers and stuff for years now. Wouldn't need to have it as a home OS.

How about proper computing though lol

Here is something I did over the weekend lol:

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
My dusty heap's an i5 760 with 4GB RAM and a GTX580. Currently playing RAGE (again) and Borderlands 2 :).

skymera

Brutal Honesty
Harlen said:
Agree with that 100%!

I'm rocking a little hackintoshed Dell laptop - I'm studying media and too poor for a proper Mac like everyone else in this damn course...

... But then none of them drive either. Car or laptop? Car! DUH!

Oh and the temptation to run Linux is always growing now that Steam have games out on it!

I've run Linux daily for close to 6 years now.

Steam runs great and more and more games are being released very quickly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Forum Runner

Dougyledds

Woopa Pandastyle!
This is my ripper :)

525698_4484027899932_1387889971_n.jpg

Probs a bit out dated now tho but still works a treat!

AMD phenom X4 965 at 3.40ghz, GTX 260 OC, Three way SLI MSI mobo, and got some 2gb of DDR3.. do have some Corsair Dominator to use but it wasnt compatable with the mobo the last time i tried.. hmm

This reminds me i need to download Everest again haha :D

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
A couple from my mancave

7u02lcc.jpg

HjPf5Pv.jpg

Quality doesn't do it justice! And yeah, the room is wonky, my desk is 100% level but the floor isn't.

Naturally I have Aryton Senna and Kimi Raikonnen looking down on me at all times. And excuse the fact that Black Ops 2 is on the screen, it's my guilty pleasure :(

Dougyledds

Woopa Pandastyle!
Does anyone know why this ram wouldnt work in my Mobo?

Just fails to boot all the time, like even load Bios.. can hear the CPU spin up then it just repeats

My motherboard is an MSI 790FX-GD70 :)

150791_4484182743803_295108529_n.jpg

Arnold

www.alanarnold.co.uk
Site Supporter
Used to do the whole PC build thing, and a carputer too but both about 5 years out of date now. I just have a Dell precision PC and Dell Latitude laptop, but both fairly standard with upgraded HDDs

Ed

Fusion Motorsport
MSC Founder
Official MSC Trader
Your desks are too tidy!!

This is what they should look like!!

2013-02-18 23.10.02.jpg

A 'proper' work environment lol. New dell pc sits on desk, bottom two pcs large one is backup smaller one is a server that deals with media/mail/web/weather etc and its all on a UPS. Small laptop is used for away work. and surrounded by electronics stuff. No car bits here, thats all at the workshop. The chair is an old K10 super S seat :)

seeing all your pictures makes me miss my desktop ... miss that joy of upgrading it and cleaning the dust and changing all the parts ... oooh :(