Anyone here tried making their own copper core ignition lead set?

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Hi everyone

Heard that a proper 80mm~ copper core ignition set + good spark plugs is well worth doing - only issue is, a proper kit for the K11 is £80.

Any of you guys had a go at swapping the standard leads for KV85 ones, or any for that matter? Is it relatively straight forward? What leads did you buy?

Cheers

Hi Harlen, I did it last week in conjuction with a few other mods. They have made a drastic change to the performance to my 1.0l but I could not tell you how much of that was due in isolation to the copper core leads. Here is how I did it:

Take old leads apart:
312469_10151373460346054_2035645258_n.jpg

By 3 meters of this £3.60: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230881332779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
9491_10151376826381054_1589037513_n.jpg

Make the set:
582248_10151376826351054_309570701_n.jpg

Refit and away you go
317905_10151383000206054_286763471_n.jpg

I re-used everything in the first picture except the black std cable, then just sealed all the openings with a grey silicon to prevent ingress of moisture. You will have to open up the crimped connectors slightly to fit the new copper lead then just crimp them tight again, simples;)

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
You sure you want 80mm leads Harlen? I've got 7mm splitfire leads they look nice but doubt they do much
Honestly wasn't sure what thickness to go with mate but it looks like 7mm is the way going by ELAs guide!

Hi Harlen, I did it last week in conjuction with a few other mods. They have made a drastic change to the performance to my 1.0l but I could not tell you how much of that was due in isolation to the copper core leads. Here is how I did it:

Take old leads apart:

By 3 meters of this £3.60: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230881332779?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Make the set:

Refit and away you go

Thanks so much for this really appreciate it! Looks relatively straight forward, will get the kit ordered and have a go at it soon!

Edit: Karl you joker, I've only just realised what I wrote in my original post. :D

I'll start a trend, 80mm ignition leads. Go hard or go home.

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Well done SulaR, they look great and you didn't waste any time in getting them made up;)

Thanks for your guide ;) Ive always wanted to go for copper core leads but I just never thought of making them :S Was a tough job undoing the rubber ends!

Dougyledds

Woopa Pandastyle!
Just a note guys, i did read EBB dudes blog but surely there cant be much of a gain with these?
Like when people say about speaker cable and stuff it being better quality but then its not, im not saying it isnt true i just wonderd if anyone has any evidence besides the EBB blog :)

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Just a note guys, i did read EBB dudes blog but surely there cant be much of a gain with these?
Like when people say about speaker cable and stuff it being better quality but then its not, im not saying it isnt true i just wonderd if anyone has any evidence besides the EBB blog :)

Your probably right, but for the price and a little bit of fun making, no harm done :)

Are they not suppressed and cause radio interference too? o_O

frank

Club Member
i,ve often wondered too :) imo a fatter spark should ignite the fuel a few milliseconds quicker (and show a slight hp gain) but you can only burn the fuel once, so advancing a stock spark should give the same end result.
the combustion event takes place about 15 deg after tdc iirc, so the fuel gets fully burned well before the piston has traveled half way down the cyl

Dougyledds

Woopa Pandastyle!
Tbf i would do it, im still considering.. even even it doesnt do anything that much it still looks a whole lot better red than black :D nice one Sulur

There certainly is a difference in terms of the resistance measured. The OEM leads are around 2.5-4 Ohms per meter whereas the Copper ones are around 0 Ohms. I have had cars with circa 650BHP in the past and trust me, the minor tweaks of the ignition system should not be under estimated. Granted on a little Micra the gains will not be of great significance, but if used in combination with a few other simple mods, you will certainly notice the difference (economy, efficiency, fuel burn et cetera are all improved). For under £5 The Copper core leads are a no brainer.

OP
OP
Harlen

Harlen

Dr. Zoidberg
Site Supporter
Beats buying them for £80 as Harlen said :O

Thanks!
There certainly is a difference in terms of the resistance measured. The OEM leads are around 2.5-4 Ohms per meter whereas the Copper ones are around 0 Ohms. I have had cars with circa 650BHP in the past and trust me, the minor tweaks of the ignition system should not be under estimated. Grated on a little Micra the gains will not be a great significance, but if used in combination with a few other simple mods, you will certainly notice the difference (economy, efficiency, fuel burn et cetera are all improved). For under £5 The Copper core leads are a no brainer.

Yep, this is pretty much why I asked! At £80 if I'd done absolutely everything I could to my car and was just looking for those finishing bits, then yeah, I'd consider them... But for under a fiver and a few hours time you can't go wrong eh!

I'm looking at getting mine put together soon too, will get some pics up when I'm done :)

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
Yea man, was it hard to do? have you sealed anything back up with some silicone or should it be alright? :)

It was a pretty easy task but getting those rubber ends off without breaking was tough (for me anyway) lucky i had a spare set to mess with before hand. Getting that connector inside the cylinder was annoying too. Well worth it though, if not for gains just for the kool effect!

I've started a set for the Grape. I struggle to get the ceramic tube end bits apart and chipped it in the process. I didn't buy and change the cable yet but can I hell as like reassemble / rebuild it. I stopped and gave up after that. What am I doing wrong?

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
I've started a set for the Grape. I struggle to get the ceramic tube end bits apart and chipped it in the process. I didn't buy and change the cable yet but can I hell as like reassemble / rebuild it. I stopped and gave up after that. What am I doing wrong?

that bit was hard,

I also broke one, but i used it to see how it was held together and got the others out, luckily i had a spare set of leads. If youve chipped it id say take it apart and have a look, you have to squeeze the metal bit inside just right.

What a ballache of a job! I've just finished building them. You have to effectively bend in two little tabs and then push the long bit out the back eh. But without misshaping the spark plug socket. It takes quite a while to piddle them apart doesn't it, all the sealant holding them together had to be busted with a jewellers flatblade before anything rubber would shift. Then once you get in there's plenty of self stabbing flatblade action to open up the crimping terminals.

If you tackle it don't rush it, you could easily lose your rag with them and end up getting hurt.

SuluR

Buy & Sell Member
What a ballache of a job! I've just finished building them. You have to effectively bend in two little tabs and then push the long bit out the back eh. But without misshaping the spark plug socket. It takes quite a while to piddle them apart doesn't it, all the sealant holding them together had to be busted with a jewellers flatblade before anything rubber would shift. Then once you get in there's plenty of self stabbing flatblade action to open up the crimping terminals.

If you tackle it don't rush it, you could easily lose your rag with them and end up getting hurt.

Glad you got there in the end

i must have spent 2 hours making my first one, but after that it was 30 mins, 20 mins and 10 mins for the others. i had a lightweight micra with no radio so i cant say it affected my listening!

i must have spent 2 hours making my first one, but after that it was 30 mins, 20 mins and 10 mins for the others. i had a lightweight micra with no radio so i cant say it affected my listening!

Likewise, mine seemed to go like that too. Once a thing has been done it's always easier and quicker the next time.
There ought to be a 'law of the human condition' or something that states this well known phenomenon. Thusly I propose 'The spark lead law'?!