Anyone had a clutch changed recently?

As per the thread title, has anyone had their clutch changed recently? I would normally do so myself, but as I currently have neither garage nor anywhere suitable to do it I'll be taking it to another mechanic, unfortunately. Never had one done before by a garage so just for an idea of how long it should take and a rough idea of price, which I know is determined by quality of clutch used, etc, but just to get an idea. I appreciate an answer would be 'get some quotes' however there is only one garage open local to me (yes, really) and due to lockdown it isn't feasable to take to another. Thanks.

Hi, I did my clutch myself about 2 years ago. I'm nearly 60 now so I found the job hard work now without any help. I did it all with just a trolly jack and axel stands. getting the box back in on your own is hard work. one tip i would give you fit the LUK clutch. I fitted a different one it wasn't a cheap one and the clutch never was as good as the original luk that was fitted. they sell LUK on Euro CAR PARTS DONT FORGET TO PUT IN THE DISCOUNT CODES . its not a cheap item to have replaced in a garage now. with vat, I was quoted between £ 450 to 500 that's why i had to do it myself in the end. glad i did its a great little car the k11 Tony Leics uk
Just had my k13 digs changed, cost me £360 just in labour. I bought the clutch myself which is a genuine valeo £200. Took them 3 hours, but that was replacing the slave cylinder in the gearbox too, might as well while it's out.

£500 for a clutch? They are having a giraffe.

I would look for another K11 in good running order for less than that.

Last edited:
£500 for a clutch? They are having a giraffe.

I would look for another K11 in good running order for less than that.

the k13 is considerably higher value than a k11, post me of an add for a k13 micra in good running order for that money and I’ll buy it now lol

on the other hand I see the same quote for the k11, bit steep for a few hours labour

the k13 is considerably higher value than a k11, post me of an add for a k13 micra in good running order for that money and I’ll buy it now lol

on the other hand I see the same quote for the k11, bit steep for a few hours labour

For myself:~

Quote: “I would look for another K11 in good running order for less than that”

One of the most significant advantages of K11 “bangernomics” motoring is the easy option to find another in good running order for less than the price any major repair job that is not fun to do & or beyond the skillset of the average competent DIY person.

Also I get to keep the old one in the back yard for its spares if I can’t pre-emptively sell it on as a runner with all its faults as it stands for a good price in excess of spares value to me. :)

Example below is preferable to changing a clutch on your back?

£520, K11, 2002, 77K miles, looks clean & tidy, New MOT @ Newport :cool:

Last edited:
cars become a member of the family here and scrapping the poor thing over a few hours work just seems such a waste. I have happily spent over 2 grand on my micra and will likely spend that again before I’m done and it still puts the bigger smile on my face over any car I’ve owned worth double that

we live in a society where everything is disposable I refuse to follow suit ?

p.s good luck on the clutch change, as clutches go it’s not too bad a job, once it’s done admiring your handy work with a cuppa lol

Last edited:
For me following the long established economic principles of “Bangernomics” for 30 years, there can be no sentimentality with money pit liabilities (cars), only pragmatic commercial awareness to minimise losing & wasting hard earned money on tin boxes on wheels that will be quickly forgotten as we inevitably move on with our life’s journey.

When the car reaches a point of a potential uneconomic repair (clutch, gearbox etc.), pre-emptively sell it on or break for parts or scrap it. ;)

References: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Tripod+Bangernomics

You have no soul lol as mentioned nothing you enjoy is a waste of money, I could still be driving my micra as it was when I bought it, but then it would still drive like one of your bangers ?

Fix and repair more economical special done yourself,
I've already had a long convo about someone wanting to sell /scrap and good Micra cause of the clutch,
He was quoted £240 to do , and a clutch may last the rest of the car or say 100,000miles
Mean I maintain me to a petty good standard and 95% of the engine and drive train is original at 109k, on, CV boots , belts and a gasket really been done,
Suspension had been updated abit but will see many years of low to no maintenance
If you actually bothered to do basic up keep specialy ATM nothing to do,
Do some repairs, proventative maintenance ect add years ect to your car ,

But yeah a friend was quoted £240 or around that for a clutch on a 1ltr
Luk ,excedy and such
Asian clutch have abit or a poor rep, same for some very cheap ones

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

About 6 years ago I had to dig myself out of a money pit of my own making when I bought a tidy looking 13 year old K11 on 75K at the local car auction for £380 with a New MOT.

As soon as I drove it away the clutch was working ok but the clutch pedal/cable needed muscles like Disney character Pophy to operate it.

A new cable had already been fitted leaving me the only cost free economic option of lubricating the pedal box/cable/clutch operating arm & adjustments enabling me to use it for two years before I sold it on with the stiff clutch & all its faults for £550 with a new MOT that cost only the test fee!

Redemption of my soul from an auction bad experience & avoided paying the price of the vehicle for a new clutch!

"Bangernomics" lived & learned a value recovering lesson that a tin box money pit is what it is & I climbed out of the auction cess pit of my own making & turned it around to make a tickle profit smelling of wonga. Jobs a goodun as with every of my old leave off bangers that I pre-emptively sell on! :)

References: https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=Tripod+Bangernomics

Last edited:
Many thanks for your reply Tony. I'm very limited on suppliers due to my location, but will look into it. Thanks.
Hi have done several of these two of my families and my own a few years back
Allow a day agree with Tony can be hard to get back on but if 2 pairs of hands just for putting gearbox on (did it on own after first time Replace release bearing why gearbox is off) it’s basically in Haynes manual but I didn’t disconnect exhaust- garage would be about £450

I'm currently mid-way through, so gearbox out and new clutch ready to go in. Not in any particular rush so have given myself a 4 day window. Whilst it's out have given that half of the engine bay a good clean and inspect, but the other half got jealous so I had to clean that up as well! Just got to make up a centring tool then rebuild tomorrow, along with my faithful assistant, so it'll be a nice and steady day.

I'm currently mid-way through, so gearbox out and new clutch ready to go in. Not in any particular rush so have given myself a 4 day window. Whilst it's out have given that half of the engine bay a good clean and inspect, but the other half got jealous so I had to clean that up as well! Just got to make up a centring tool then rebuild tomorrow, along with my faithful assistant, so it'll be a nice and steady day.
When finished don’t forget to adjust clutch (knurled nut on clutch cable) then relax!

Back