Antifreeze in K12 Micra

How do people change antifreeze.
Someone told me to just drain the whole system, put in water and antifreeze, then run it until the fan starts. Is this true?
I don't want to get air bubbles in the system, had that problem before.

Thanks

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
Camaro has two bleeder valves for getting rid of air from cooling system.
I don't know do these vehicles have them.
Drain whole system, if possible, rinse it with plain water for couple times.
Top system to full, let engine run caps open and fill up accordingly. No need to get it to fan start temperature.

OP
OP
T
Thanks for the info.

Is it good to drain the system and replace the fluid, or is it something that is not necessary?

They do not mix that is at least what I was told. You have to use new. I'm guessing here that you will likely use a different type that's already in the system.

(As mika described drain the whole system if possible plain water)

(don't mix)
There are some IAT coolants that use propylene glycol instead of ethylene glycol. ... The two coolants should never be mixed together as they do not react well. When mixed together theycan form a thick, jelly-like substance that can completely stop all coolantflow which can lead to overheating.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Mika The Finn

Site Supporter
They do not mix that is at least what I was told. You have to use new. I'm guessing here that you will likely use a different type that's already in the system.

(As Mika described drain the whole system if possible plain water)

(don't mix)
... When mixed together they can form a thick, jelly-like substance that can completely stop all coolant flow which can lead to overheating.

Sent from my ASUS_T00P using Micra Sports Club mobile app
This happens when red & green coolants are mixed together.

OP
OP
T
Thanks for the information.
I have always mixed and never had a problem, but will not do if it in future can cause problems.

How often should you replace antifreeze? I have topped mine up a little every year, but never drained it.

The mechanic says, drain, fill up, then leave overnight with the cap off to let bubbles come out, don't put cap on after refilling.

Last edited: