Answer to the Howling

Hi All, I have just had a MOT & service done to my 1998 K11 and the howling noise I asked about appeared to be a worn rear wheel brake cylinder which has now been replaced. And the only advisories that i have had are both rear wheel bearing slightly noisy. Any idea where I can get them done cheaper than kwik fit? Yours Peter0003

Kwic fit would have your eyes out,
In a k11 the hub and bearing is one unit , just crack and removed the rear spindle nut , then the rear hut should either pull off or require minor force then , simple fit
It could be done at home pretty easy , remember right it's a 27mm nut

Kwic fit would have your eyes out,
In a k11 the hub and bearing is one unit , just crack and removed the rear spindle nut , then the rear hut should either pull off or require minor force then , simple fit
It could be done at home pretty easy , remember right it's a 27mm nut
As said above, simple job, rear hub/bearing assembly can be bought as cheaply as £23 a side on ebay though hub/bearing assemblies for cars fitted with ABS are a bit more expensive.....
On the K12, while the bearing kits are much cheaper, the bearings are integral with the rear drums and unless you have access to a press to remove the old bearings from the drum and press in the new ones (which fortunately I did have) it's not a DIY job....... (so lucky you have a K11:cool:)
So bottom line Peter, cheapest price for parts is about £50 but easy DIY fit as long as you have a decent jack and axle stands to make it safe.........

Last edited:
As said above, simple job, rear hub/bearing assembly can be bought as cheaply as £23 a side on ebay though hub/bearing assemblies for cars fitted with ABS are a bit more expensive.....
On the K12, while the bearing kits are much cheaper, the bearings are integral with the rear drums and unless you have access to a press to remove the old bearings from the drum and press in the new ones (which fortunately I did have) it's not a DIY job....... (so lucky you have a K11:cool:)
So bottom line Peter, cheapest price for parts is about £50 but easy DIY fit as long as you have a decent jack and axle stands to make it safe.........

I have bought two bearings +hubs from one company for £39.00inc P+P and will hire an impart driver power tool and if you look up on youtube you'll see that someone has been posting youtube clips on how to replace hub & bearings together.

I have bought two bearings +hubs from one company for £39.00inc P+P and will hire an impart driver power tool and if you look up on youtube you'll see that someone has been posting youtube clips on how to replace hub & bearings together.

You shouldn't need an impact gun to undo the stub axle nuts.

A piece of scrap one inch diam x one metre steel water pipe as an extension bar, would be cheaper & more useful, less hassle then impact wrench hire gear.

Back