another MPG thread

Courior

Fat ppl r harder 2 kidnap
first off a MERRY XMAS TO YOU ALL!!!!!

well, my mpg is getting worse by the week. and my latest theory is that one or both of my CATS are damaged, reasons are:

1. car smokes a lot (white)
2. rattleing from exhaust but i removed the heatsheild,
3. Car backfires/pops a lot from exhaust.

Would damaged CATS cause bad MPG?

Cheers ALL!!!

loads of people have removed heat shields on k10's and k11's without any problems.

The white smoke doesn't sound great though! Maybe the problems with the engine rather than the cats. Are you burning oil?

everyones mpg is getting worse its winter your car has to work harder, white smoke dosent sound that good tho ither oil or grease?maybe.....

the smoke is white and smells of normal car fumes, oil is leaking from the pressure switch but even still it dont drink much at all, coolant is always near the top. i think its just general smoke being near freezing a lot of cars are smoking a little bit more now (ie 57 plate cars). But still my main question stands... will damaged cats cause more fuel consumption?

i wouldnt of thought damaged cats would cause this? MPG is generaly lower in winter but 55mpg to 35mpg is quite a loss and if like you say its getting worse week after week then there's def somthing not right. what about the ECR?

well.. my plan to fix it now is:

1. Get a volt meter on the o2 sensor and check vacume hoses
2. Replace exhaust system with non-cat system
3. maybe remove EGR system
4. put on a different carb
5. sell it

yeh get shot of the EGR and see what happens. personaly i'd try a different carb before an exhaust system the carbs the most likley cause as its the carb and ECR which is regulating the amount of feul being used.

correct me if i'm wrong :D

cant remember if i cleaned the earths on your car courior, have a look at them im sure that i did but if i didnt then clean them up with some snad paper so they are nice and shiney on both sides and make sure where the bolt to the car that its bare metal not got paint on them,

then when you bolt them back on put some grease over the top of them to stop them going nasty again

35mpg, ive just clocked mine over the last 2 weeks and its doing 32mpg, but on frosty mornings i let mine tick over to warm up for 5 mins or so, plus its winter, so im not too bothere at them minute.

Back